Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Television Samsung model UA40F5000 Software;

Customer Question

Television
Samsung model UA40F5000
Software; T-MST13DAAC-1003.0
Serial n/o ZXR83MFD501494D
The lower half of the picture screen has gone dark?
what is the cause and how is the problem rectified?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, The lower half of the screen goes dark when the backlight LED driver on the power supply board fails partially. So that said, how long have you owned the set for and when did the problem occur? Also are you looking to repair the TV yourself?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The power supply/LED driver board has two transformers- one lights the lower part of the screen and one lights the upper. What's happened is either the lower transformer has failed, or the LED lighting within the lower part of the screen itself has failed. There isn't a pushbutton fix for this however- it's a hardware issue and requires repairs. Average cost to have the power LED board replaced is in the $250 range on this model- which is why I was asking the age of the set ( to see if you still had any type of warranty on it).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.