TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Samsung ua46d6000 and the picture has started

Customer Question
freezing up, but the sound...
I have a Samsung ua46d6000 and the picture has started freezing up, but the sound is fine. The picture refreshes every couple of minutes, but only to another frozen image; no "moving picture". The frozen image gradually degrades with horizontal and vertical lines, then starts to fade out (darken). After a while it'll move on to another frame.
What can I do about it and is it worth fixing? Probably 3 years old; maybe older.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
11/21/2015
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 2 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

While it's acting up, you need to display the TV's MENU...

How does it behave? Slow and sluggish? Dark too?

Can you access the settings and adjust them FAST?? That'll tell you where the problem is. There's 2 boards that can cause your symptoms.

I trund the TV off for a few minutes and have just turned it back on. The menu comes up fine and is responsive at the moment, as is the picture. There are a couple of very thin horizontal lines at top right of the screen extending about 20% across the screen.
The picture is fine at the moment, but will start to fade soon, followed by freezing a short while after. When this happens, I'll retry the menu response and let you know what happens.
Of course, it may now never fail again, but them's the breaks.
Picture starting to flicker...
Frozen up now; menu has apparently stopped responding, but I suspect it's working and I'm just not getting any feedback.
Picture has changed to another frozen frame and the menu has moved on, but still not responding on screen.
It's a visual feedback thing for the menu.
Picture has now come good, but black lines now extend nearly halfway across the screen...
patiently awaiting response....

That's not good. Lines usually depict a bad panel or tcon. I have to get my car alignment, but if you can hold for 6j hours, I'll give you one more test to determine if it's a bad panel or tcon. GET a picture of the lines and another with the TV MENU AND LINES. Use the paperclip button to add those JPG pictures and we'll figure it out ok?

I'm in Australia, so will be in bed in 6 hours. Paperclip button? What's that?
Failed again with the picture freezing issue and fading to black, coming back to a frozen image, etc; sound still ok...
Actually, that happened when the input device was changed from Serviio to cable...
Serviio is my DLNA server...
There has been what appears to be a compressed "duplicate" of the picture at top of screen almost since we've had the TV. This has now appeared at bottom of screen since this recent issue.
Last thing before retiring last night, the picture went to black with a single vertical strip about 1" or so wide about 1" from left of screen and didn't appear to recover, so I pulled the plug to give it a complete "rest" overnight.
Will power it up and let you know what happens next in this saga.
2 hours and counting; black horizontal lines across right half of screen; "compression" at top of screen (half inch), but no freezing yet.

Sorry, just woke up.

Double picture issue is a clear cut failure of the TV's TCON board. It's found on the bottom center of the TV set, usually. Found on TV sets that have 100 or 200 Hz refresh rates. Dual picture is caused by the double frame rate processors on the TCON.

UN46D6900WFXZA is the US version of the TCON board -- we need to look at the Australian version, and there's usually a sticker found on the TCON which shows you your TCON's part number. I use this site to show and explain where to find that part number.

You see that sticker highlighted in PINK?

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn95-00542a-t-con-board.htm

That's where you'll find your TCON's part number on your model.

Double click the picture on that site, and the picture enlarges. Remember...that's the USA version, not YOUR VERSION of the TCON. And they are correct about that warning..horizontal lines are rarely the TCON, but the DOUBLE PICTURE and video blanking and frozen picture are.

So...do we have 2 problems or just one related to the TCON. That's a question that should have been answered when you flexed the TV panel - Those lines should have disappeared at least, while the frozen screen/double images probably wouldn't have changed.

When you see those lines...grab the edges of your TV screen and rock it in opposite directions to flex the panel. Concentrate ONLY on the horizontal lines - see if they disappear or not. If they do...that's a bad panel. If they don't...more likely the TCON is causing ALL the symptoms.

You aren't afraid the remove the screws from the back cover are you?

To get to the TCON, you have to remove the stand, all the screws on the back, AND if the joystick button is on the back or bottom, there's usually a cable from that control to the TV's main board you have to release. When you take the rear cover off - move it up and peek under the cover. I usually just lift up and Feel the cable resisting during the lift.

Ok, that's enough information. Don't want information overload.

But I did find this on Gumtree, and I note that their stickers are slightly different, yet still useful. However that may be your model number with the proper version, OR it may be an ASIAN not Austrailian model.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/ermington/tv-accessories/samsung-ua46d6000-t-con-board-sh120pmb4sv0-3/1086480901

Sorry; I've been out and about on family business today. That board on gumtree quotes is for my model and version. If I purchase it it'll take about a week to get to me, so maybe next Saturday. Can I leave this call open until then in case I need assistance with replacement, or should I purchase it and get a local tech in to fit it for me?
Also, the TV worked fine for 5 hours straight today and I turned it on again about 30 minutes ago, and still fine. The horizontal lines are still there, but it's not freezing yet.
Have noticed right side has faded colours...

You may want to rock the panel like you flex some of those older cookie baking sheets/pans - Remember this ? "Twisting the frame (suggested by some nutter on the internet). "

Maybe the details weren't concise, but flexing the frame on opposite corners will show mechanically broken connections built inside the TV panel. Been a while since I posted these pictures to show you. The first picture, being 2D doesn't show you to twist it in opposite directions Top to Bottom and Left to right. The second picture is an analogy (?) We've twisted towels and back in the old days we had flimsy cookie sheets our mothers bought. They flexed, you could twist a towel to wring out water, so you now know how to flex in opposite directions. Love to get a picture of me and the customer doing the top/bottom flex on opposite sides, but we're not set up that way.

Did you already Read that ? I just realized I didn't finish my thoughts or yours.

The above is about testing it.

This is about what you should do AFTER testing. If the lines disappear while flexing it...don't order the TCON.

If they stay and don't disappear...Throw $65 at the TV and see if it's worth it.

Yes you can leave this call open. Hold onto this response until next Saturday so you can respond back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. Did the twist test but made no perceptible difference. Ordered the TCON; the Gumtree post turns out to be a front for an eBay shop, but I went ahead for about AU$100. It won't be here until first week of December. Can I leave the call open until it arrives?
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 1 year ago

Yes you can. Reply back once you install the part and test it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We'll chat in December then.

Ok, talk to you later.

Louie, Technician