TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a lg 60pv 400 that red light comes on but relay

Customer Question
clicks and the board to...
I have a lg 60pv 400 that red light comes on but relay clicks and the board to the right makes a noise kinda like a computer booting up? But tv will not come on. I am a auto mechanic and would like to fix it myself if possible
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
11/14/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, What "board to the right" are you referring to- can you post the part number?

Also, does that reed light ever change color? Does it ever blink?

Does your screen ever light up even for a second?

When i plug the tv in the red light comes. Then i push the power button and the black relay on the power board clicks and then a second later the board to the right part#EAX64232101 makes a booting up noise for a second and then relay clicks again and nothing happens until i press the power button again

Thank you. So what does the red light do AFTER the power button is pressed- does it change color, blink- anything?

When i plug tv in red light comes on instantly and then goes out then comes back on for a second then back out.I then push the power button and the red light comes on and stays on. Then i press the power button again and red light blinks once then comes on solid and fades away

Okay, please unplug the set from power then disconnect the Z Sus board (the one you hear the noise coming from). Then plug the TV back into power and press the power button once. Let me know what the power light does, and also if the screen attempts to light up- even for a second.

Do you have a multi-meter?

sir

Okay great. With the meter set to DC volts, you're going to ground the black meter probe to the metal frame of the TV, then with the Z SUS disconnected, use your red probe and test the points labeled "VS" and "VA" on the power board. You should have 200 and 55 volts DC respectively after you press power once. Let me know what you find.

Ok with red light on solid i have the 200 and the 55 but as soon as i push the power button the voltage starts dropping

Hmm, okay. This is with the Z SUS connected, or disconnected?

Board to the right that i gave you part number to earlier is disconnected. I checked voltage at the connection on the power board where the cable disconnects from but there are the same va and vs on the other side of the board that connects to part number EAX64232001

Okay, unfortunately I have to run for the night, but will open the question to other experts in the meantime.

Thanks
Have not got any responses
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 2 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

Suspect the left or right board may be shorted to ground. Vs power line is attempting to power up both boards at the same time, and shutting down the Vs power. To test, measure the Vs line to ground, see if a resistance measurement is BELOW 2000 ohms with the power / left board - Ysus /right board - Zsus all connected together.

If there is a short, you'll read way below 2000 ohms / 2k ohms.

If that's the case - Keep your meter on the VS power plug, disconnect either the left or right board and see if the VS resistance shoots up above 2000 ohms. If so, double check the disconnected board's VS pin for a direct short.

On the power board left and right side there where the zsus board and the ysus board plug in at the pins there is 2 vs pins each has a white whire and a black wire. Does it matter which one i test? And is my ground on the metal frame or the pin?

Either VS line will work to ground - which is the metal frame when ALL boards are connected.

IF you unplug the BOARD -- it's best to use the PIN plugs marked VS and GND for ground.

May sound weird but not really getting anything at the vs pins. If i am lucky i can get it to 1955k and it goes away. Whats weird is i am getting continuity at the other pins. M5v. Va
If i unplug the ysus board i do get a little but nothing near 2000k
With the whole power board unplugged i can get 020 ohm from vs to ground
with all 5 plugs disconnected from power board i can only get 020 ohm from pins vs to gnd
Any more ideas?

whole power board unplugged i can get 020 ohm from vs to ground --I don't know which board you read that on, but it's shorted.

nothing near 2000k

Careful how you print that...that's 2 million ohms. If a board reads 2000 ohms it's not shorted.

Ok with everything plugged into the power board with ohm meter set on 200k i went to vs and frame ground it goes right to 0.50 and slowly climbs to 20.1 in about 25 seconds on ohm meter
When i unplug the ysus board it climbs up to 25.4 pretty fast
Sorry the ohm meter was on 200k. Not 2000k. What should i look for to find a short?
I notice that if i unplug the ysus board from the power board when i turn the tv on the noise that it makes stays on until i turn it off. If the ysus board is plugged in it shuts right off when i try to turn it on
I have the ysus board unplugged from power board and it is showing continuity from the vs to ground also have zsus board unplugged and it is showing continuity from vs to ground and same with powerboard showing continuity from vs to ground?
Part#eax64232201 is connected to the zsus board and most pins at that connection show continuity at ground and vs. Same with the ysus board and part# ***** and ydrvbt

You're confusing me.

ALL boards will BEEP continuity for a GOOD 30 seconds. Eventually they go OL on continuity Testing.

All boards start out with LOW resistance but are supposed to climb above 2000 Ohms if they are ok.

Bad boards never do.

I do suspect your Ysus is likely bad since it shuts off the power so fast. Check it with the rules I listed above

My 3 multimeters dont beep. I have to just watch the digital screen. I figured vs was power side and then ground was ground so they should not have continuity. Maybe i will have to bring my blue point multimeter home from work. Because it beeps.
Ok i brought my snap on multimeter home. I kinda want to start over. From beginning and try and figure this problem out. With my meter set to dc volts with zsus board disconnected when i power the tv up i have 55volts at the va and 200 at vs
With the zsus board plugged in when i power on the tv i have 200 at vs and va fluctuates from 53 to 54. And the ctrl board has a little green led labeled d1 that flashes

With my meter set to dc volts with zsus board disconnected when i power the tv up i have 55volts at the va and 200 at vs

If those voltages stay on...then that means the short is not connected.

It is a fuse that is on the zsus board. The fuse it blown

Don't try to replace that fuse, replace the Zsus board. Replacing the fuse will just blow the fuse a 2nd time and possibly damage the power supply board.

Ok i have been searching online for a new zsus board and everyone is out of stock. Any idea what could of caused the issue? And chances that if i find a new board that it will fix the problem i am having. Thanks for getting back to me.

If you have a soldering iron and are skilled with it --

http://www.shopjimmy.com/lg-ebr73561701-eax64232101-zsus-board-component-repair-kit.htm

I'd call that company and ask if that kit has an instruction and part location sheet included with it. Those small parts....I'd test the originals first, see if they MUST be installed. Nothing like losing a tiny part like that.

Not feeling very confident with replacing most of the tiny parts on that board and most websites online that will do the repairs say if it is messed with before they will not ba able to fix it. And i totally understand why they say that.

Me too. If you have a choice of sending it to repair it, I'd take that over doing it yourself.

Louie, Technician