Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

LG 42" LCD TV 42CS560 I've had this TV few years. Been very

Customer Question

LG 42" LCD TV 42CS560 I've had this TV for a few years. Been very happy with it. Clear picture, great sound, etc. Yesterday morning I used the remote to turn on the TV. Didn't work. Played with it a bit and yes.....TV turned on. After about 5 minutes it shut off. Then all morning long it would shut off/on and after a while it shut off and wouldn't turn on. Only would turn on it I unplugged the power cord from the wall, but after several minutes it would go off/on again. Unplug again, and same thing over and over.
Do I need to buy a new TV or is this a common simple fix?
Randall
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Randall.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. Power board is about $50, main about $100

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $250 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/type (lcd) however, replacement will usually make more sense - you can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Note: I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in a good faith effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. I am only paid for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. Again I apologize there is not a better outcome here, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a positive rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately.