Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

Philips 20PF5120/28 flat screen tv. Turn turns "ON" and

Customer Question

Philips 20PF5120/28 flat screen tv. Turn turns "ON" and stays for about 20 minutes or so then a message is displayed across the bottom of the tv - TV will be switching off in ___ secs. The power button goes from green, red to yellow and stays yellow until I hit a the menu button on the tv to resume play and the turn starts right back up. The sleep timer is set to OFF. And if I hit the menu button on the tv, the tv will resume and go through the process again. What is causing my tv to get that "switching off" message?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That message and the issue with your TV is caused by the Mainboard in the set failing. This requires replacement of this component to fix the issue. If you want to correct this issue with the TV you need to swap the part at the link below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-20-20PF5***-**-****15863621-LCD-Main-Video-Board-Motherboard-Unit-/161880850160?hash=item25b0d9bef0

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge $150 parts and labor and is at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am very comfortable at placing this part myself. You don't know what the exact failing component is do you? IC chip? transistor? diode? capacitor? Hate to replace the entire board if its one or two components. Thanks
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is Anthony

Aric has opted out I am a different expert, I have a different take on this firstly during the time the set is running but you have no pic if you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does the menu come up please?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Anthony, when the TV is powered "ON", I am able to press the menu button from the remote and it will display the menu options up on the screen. After approx. 15+ minutes the tv will display a message "TV will be switching off in ___ secs.". Once the tv goes into standby mode - the power button on the tv itself is red at that time. I can press the power button from the remote and the tv will turn right back on and run for another 15+ minutes and repeat the cycle. What do you think is causing the problem. I am comfortable enough to take come voltage reading from the board if need be. Just tell me what you need and I will deliver the results. Thanks

There is no signal ......how are you viewing TV services?satellite/cable box/cable straight no box/antenna?

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first I was just powering on the unit and just watching the fuzzy screen to test it. Then I plug directly into my cable box using coaxial connection. You get a great picture in all, but then it runs into the problem I have described earlier in my posts.

If you are bringing up the sets own menu DURING the no pic fault phase the TV is in the clear .......its NOT faulty......the problem is the signal which comes from the box now if the box goes faulty there will be no pic or sound (TV will look ON) screen will be black , now you could try a reboot of the box by unplugging the box from wallpower waiting 5 mins then replugging back in again if that fails then the box will need to be swapped, additionally what happens when the signal disappears is the set will go into a "countdown" which is exactly what you are seeing then switch itself off so please try the reboot if that fails get the box swapped, the only other thing it could be outside of that is the TVs own tuner as you are using the coaxial try another input like composite which is red/white/yellow

Let me know if you need more info

Please consider rating the answer positively thank you there will be a rating band with this post, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead just let me know and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks

Anthony

Do you still need help with this please?

Anthony

If not could you please rate the answer positively thank you there will be a rating band with this post of stars thanks again

Anthony

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try using another cable from the box. The coaxial I am currently using runs fine on my other tv which I run approx. 8 hrs a day. This tv was dropped for a repair so the cable wire I am testing with I use on my everyday tv. So I don't think its my cable box itself. I will try however connecting the composite wires because maybe the fault is on board itself with the coaxial cable. Whether the tv is attached to cable box or not, it will stay powered on for x amount minutes then power off. I will report back shortly.

In that case then its a bad tuner in the set if it works (the same box)via coaxial on another set, as a workaround use the composite that will be fine otherwise you will be looking at replacing the tuner which is attached to the mainboard

Let me know if you need more info

If all works out please remember the rating

Thank You

Anthony

How is this working out please?

If all is well could you please rate the answer positively so I receive credit from the site, thank you

Regards

Anthony