TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Same basic screen with horizontal snow. Menu shows up

Customer Question
same basic green screen with...
same basic green screen with horizontal white snow. Menu shows up perfectly
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
11/11/2015
TV Technician: Mike G., Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician

Welcome! Coming here is the best choice because calling a repair shop costs more money and time than you might think. We are now connected together on this convenient website. I am an experienced electronics field technician and your satisfaction is my top priority. To get started we need more information (additional details may be required):

1. How long have you had the tv?

2. What is connected into the tv, on which inputs?

___________________________________________________________________

** My replies can take up to 5 minutes to appear **

** Do NOT start a new question **

too long.... 8-9 years
component video in 1 and 2 plus 1 hdmiresponds same on all inputs. funny part is it started when viewing menu screen. It would blank out when you scroll to line x but would come back when you went up or down a line. (scrolling in DTV recorded menu)

please complete the following at least one time:

-disconnect ALL audio/video cables from tv.

-unplug the tv power cord from the wall.

-press and hold the power button on the tv for 20 seconds and release button.

-plug in the tv power cord, power on, and connect your audio video cables.

If the problem continues then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The Tv has an internal failure and the back panel needs to come off, then parts ordered and installed. In this case likely the Main board. If that is something you want to attempt then reply back here and I can help you. If you are unable or unwilling to perform these operations then a repair shop should be consulted.

I am here to help you. Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above, or even if you just want to say "thank you" :-)

In keeping with the design of this website, please be sure to click the 5 STARS or SMILEYS rating now. Doing so does NOT close the question or prevent us from continuing our conversation here. My livelihood truly does depend on your positive rating.

I understand news of a failure is upsetting but clicking the "bad/poor" rating does NOT do anything to fix your issue, nor does it issue you a refund.

Thank you,

will several dvoms, analog vom and an oscope suffice.I am quite certain that unplugging is not going to fix the issue, was auto mechanic for over 25 years. Point being you probably already know what the issue is, so lets start with that.As far as skills etc, have built a few circuit boards over time and built my own cnc system... not afraid of doing repairs.Is the cost of parts and materials worth it compared to replacement costs?

Main board is needed. That's the one with the audio/video jacks. Usually $100 or less. You will need to take the back off the tv and get the numbers off your board then buy an EXACT MATCHING board which may be hard to impossible to find.

is it usually a cold solder type issue or more along the lines of bad
cap, ic, or diode... ie which componet failure of the board.As we both know, the "board" does not fail (unless trace breaks, which can be jumped) but usually bad solder joint or single component failure.

Trouble shooting at that level takes way too much valuable labor time and finding components can be next to impossible when the manufacturers don't even give schematics or component parts lists. Tv repair shops do not go into component level repairs unless there is a manufacturer bulletin with exact part numbers/locations or there is a common failure that "everyone" knows about.

ok so what does it mean if unplugging all returned the picture?

Just as my answer said to do?

It means there was a glitch in the Main board or there is an intermittent problem that will return.

Mike G.
Mike G.
Mike G., Technician