Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a Panasonic tc-p50g25. It will not turn on. LED is

Customer Question

I have a Panasonic tc-p50g25. It will not turn on. LED is blinking 10 times - pause - 10 times, etc. I have tried unplugging and holding the power button with no change. I can use a multimeter and I have the back off. Can you help me diagnose the problem?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

If this model has an SD card slot, have you ever used it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I also checked inside the slot to make sure nothing was stuck in there. With Grandkids running around anything is possible...
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Unplug the TV.Disconnect P11 and P2 from the power supply board. Plug in the TV and turn it on. DO you get 7 or 10 blinks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 blinks
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, plug it all back in (P2 and P11) and turn it on. Do you see LEDs on the SS or SC board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no LEDs
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Unplug just P2. P11 should be plugged in.

How many blinks? 7 or 10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 blinks again
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok that would indicate the SC board but that is very rare. I think something else is going on.

Plug back in P2 and P11.

On the A board - the ones with the video jacks are some connectors. Remove A31 and A32.

Turn on the TV. How many blinks. Also tell me if the TV starts up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 blinks. Did not start up.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I was having a brain cramp earlier. SC failures are very common. I was thinking SS.

The SC board is connected to two other boards. The SU and SD boards. One or both of those can be bad OR the SC board can be bad. It is important to determine which one is causing the problem becuase if the SU or SD board is shot and you buy a shiny new SC board, the still damaged SU/SD can pop the new board..

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

So I want you to follow the procedure shown here: http://screencast.com/t/fNejj14pboG

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify, P2 and P11 should be plugged back in along with any others you may have disconnected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get it. Can I just use small alligator clips to jumper the two pins?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Sure. Anything metal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
blinking 10 times
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Almost sure it is the SC board. Hold on for a second please.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Replace the SC board. The part number is ***** and unfortunately, finding one is going to be difficult. I did a cursory search and could not find anyone with it in stock. There are a few repair kits but that's a lot of work - if you can solder, you could try that.

I would set up a Google alert for that search and hope one pops up.

It's an older TV and spare boards are rare.

Let me know if you still need help.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, Steve. I found a board at All Pro TV Parts. It will be here in a couple of days. If I need help swapping them out, I'll email. If not and all is working, I will leave positive feed back for you. Thanks for the help and hopefully this will fix my problem. It is an expensive board - $150 delivered.
Tom
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Not hard to swap out. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed the new SC board. I do not think that is the problem. I am now getting 6 blinks?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I now have a green LED on the SC board after I turn it on. It goes out when the TV shuts down and starts the 6 blink code.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm sorry that you are still having problems. Was the green LED lit on the old board?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then I'm wondering about that replacement board. Unplug SC20 and C10 which is on the C1 board. PLug in and turn on. Do you still get 6 blinks? Or 8?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 blinks
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

That's a bad SC.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hold on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does that mean they sent me a bad board? Is there any way to confirm that?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Let's check all of our connections especially those to the P and A boards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is tight
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, hold on please.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Here's the troubleshooting guide: http://screencast.com/t/DpQdoTHpMCP

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do TV parts houses usually accept a return for a bad board?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

I would imagine that the rules and policies vary. I would give them a call.