Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a Polaroid combo tv/dvd I purchased in 2008. Was

Customer Question

I have a Polaroid combo tv/dvd I purchased in 2008. Was watching just now and the screen just went black. All channels, including other setting such as Netflix.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What's the model number off of the back of the TV?

Does the TV still have sound?

Is the power light still lit- or does the TV appear completely dead- no signs of life?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to see my reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV has everything but picture. Model TDA032110
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Press Input, Volume or anything else on the TV itself. Do any of these indicators display on the screen, or doe sit remain pitch black?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen remains black.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This means there's a hardware fault in the TV, nothing within normal operation will prevent the Polaroid welcome screen from showing up. This set needs repairs, and in most cases it's the power supply/backlight circuit that's failed.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times.

If you still have the same problem, then the power inverter board needs to be replaced and this costs as much as it costs to replace the set. The TV is almost 8 years old which is about the most you can expect out of it. Further costs would be better spent on replacing the set. I'm sorry for the bad news.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?