Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

This same thing happened a year ago and all of a sudden went

Customer Question

this same thing happened a year ago and all of a sudden went away after a couple days ..... and worked for 12 months without a issue
You try to turn it on, green light for a second the off and then on again and after a couple minutes turns red
any thoughts since it started again last week.
I hate the thought of replacing the set since it looks great when it works, but it may be my only recourse......
Any trick to get it off life support or should I pull the plug?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. I may be able to help, but I need to ask for more info.

1) When that light turns red, does it begin to blink at all? If so, please count the number of blinks between pauses (for example 12 blinks, 12 blinks, etc.), and let me know what you get.

2) Does anything at all display on the screen when you turn the set on (please wait.....or Pioneer welcome screen, etc.)?

3) These sets are completely repairable- no need to throw it away. That being said the symptoms you posted initially do indeed point to a hardware failure in the set. To determine exactly which failure it has, this replies on your answers to the info request above. In general the average cost for repairing these Pioneer PDP sets in between $300-$450 parts and labor- depending on the fault.

Please reply back with details and we can proceed.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Aric,
Sorry .... Yesterday correspondents went to my junk
No .... I get no electronic activity other than the light next to the power button
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply. If power light is simply lit steadily- no blinking or any other activity, then this indicates either the Mainboard is locked up, or the power supply board has failed.

Since you've already tried unplugging it as a reboot, and there's still no response, this does indicate a hardware failure.

In general the average cost for repairing these Pioneer PDP sets in between $300-$450 parts and labor- depending on the fault, if you bring it to a shop. If you'd like you can locate a shop at the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively if you have a multi-meter and are looking to repair this yourself, let me know and we can proceed.