Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am attempting to replace my DLP lamp. I have been able to

Customer Question

I am attempting to replace my DLP lamp. I have been able to physically change the bulb. However, after being on for a minute or 2. The picture beings to flicker and there is a strange high pitched noise that I can hear
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is for a Mitsubishi WD60638
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to know if this is typically associated with the bulb or the color wheel.
Expert:  Sam Dennis Bradley replied 1 year ago.

The high pitch noise is the faulty color wheel. Part of the color wheel may be broken or the components that drive the color wheel such as the DMD board may be bad as well.

Here is a picture of the color wheel for reference CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did put the old bulb housing back in - with the bad bulb - and the TV hasn't produced the sound after several minutes.

That moves me to remember that you may have not had the lamp plugged in all the way. I had this happen to me before...I reseated the lamp and never happened again. Mitsubishi replacement housing don't always fit properly...I sometimes have to put my new bulb in the original housing for it to work. However the noise is related to color wheel problems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bulb turned out to be so cheap that I can't reasonably put it in the OEM housing. I just went ahead and ordered an OEM bulb. I believe the color wheel to be ok for now. There seems to be a plastic "wheel" I can spin in the same place the lamp housing goes - it spins freely, rotating for several seconds, with no noise. Am I correct when I assume this is a mechanism for testing the color wheel?

I believe you are referring here to the cooling fan.