Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Our samsung HDLP tv had the bad 2200 mf problem. I replaced

Customer Question

our samsung HDLP tv had the bad 2200 mf problem. I replaced them and it worked OK for a while, but soon after, it started having problems turning on. Turning it off anf on worked for a while, then using the manual switch worked for a while. Then, if turning off and on didn't work, unplugging it and replugging it worked. Today, nothing works. sometimes it will get into turning itself off and on, jst like the capacitor problem. I checked the capacitors and there is no sign of leaking or bulging. Any ideas what the problem might be?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.
- Can you please get me the complete model number written on back of TV?

HLT61878AX/XAA seems incorrect.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is every letter and number listed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I googled it. THe correct no. is HLT6187SAX/XAA
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

It could be HLT6187SAX/XAA or some thing similar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with google?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, what does the LED lights do when TV doesn't turn On?

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm familiar with google and correct TV model number always help to troubleshoot the issue for correct diagnosis.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It varies. Let me plug it in and see what happens. Two situations I can recall are either the furthest right light blinks green, and other times all 3 lights blink, one of them red
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now, it's the rightmost green light blinking. It just turned itself off and all three lights showed, then it turned itself right back on.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, please turn On TV to see what they do as these lights give hint to to troubleshoot the problem in TV.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, do you hear any abnormal high pitch screeching sound like bad fan from TV when turn it On?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After 19 or 20 seconds, it turned itself off and on again. Now all three lights are blinking. No sound or picture.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I guess my previous question wasn't clear, do you hear any abnormal sound from TV when turn it On?

I'm not asking about program sound from TV speakers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I GUESS MY ANSWER WAS NOT CLEAR. NO PICTURE OR SOUND OF ANY KIND.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK -:)

When did you replace lamp last time in TV?

If lamp has been replaced recently then where did you buy it from and how much you paid for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lamp has never been replaced. By the way, I forgot to mention, sometimes when it would come on, the picture was monocromatic. SOmetimes red, sometimes green, sometimes blue. Sometimes, sound would come on, but no picture. Those were all infrequent. Would a bad lamp affect the sound?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I once replaced the mirror thing.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, typing an answer for you and it may take 5-7 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turning off and on would fix the monochrome problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now, I cannot turn it off with the remote. the right light goes off and the middle light goes on,then back to the right light, but nothing else happens. Pressing the manual switch does nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the center blue light is still on, but the blinking lights are all off.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, working on it and get back to you in 10 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now, I turned it off and back on. I have picture and sound.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, all three lights indicates LED drive board or sub power board failure, however, corrupted TV firmware can also cause such symptoms in TV.

Have you tried to upgrade TV firmware?

If not yet, please go to following Samsung link and download Upgrade File and Upgrade Guide that contains detailed info for successful upgrade..

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/HL-T6187S

And if TV firmware has already been updated then need to swap LED drive board and/or sub power board to resolve the issue. Please get the part number off of board to search/ google it to get price and stock info to order it. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I was trying to find the firmware with Samsung, but was unable. I'll give it a shot. Where do I find the components you mention? Are there youtube videos showing how to replace them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link you provided gives instructions how to install the upgrade once it is downloaded, but not where to download the upgrade file, so I am no better off unless you can tell me where and how to download the firmware upgrade.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, power board part number would be BP44-01001C written on power board in TV and LED board part number would be BP94-02321B written on label pasted on LED driver board. Please confirm the numbers and search it over internet to get better price and stock info to order it.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Click on Samsung link to open it up then fine tab labeled with Manuals & Downloads, it will take you down the page where you see Downloads and under it find See More+ link, click it to get firmware upgrade file and upgrade guide file.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know where the power board is, but where is the LED board. And as I said, where and how do I get the firmware update file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The downloads are only pdf files that tell how to install the update once the file is downloaded. If I can't download the update file, the instructions and this session are useless.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I just gave you info about how to find upgrade file on Samsung page.

Please click following link to view LED board image that will help to find it in TV.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bp94-02321b-led-driver-board.htm

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Does the above link work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your instructions are USELESS. I need the update file. Your link does not take me there. It only provides a pdf file. Just instructions, no executable file. Check it out your self.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Not sure if you're getting my previous reply where I gave you direct link to download the firmware file, if it still doesn't work then I need to download the file and upload it for you, please confirm if that way works for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I downloaded to my USB drive. The files are not in a format that the tv can recognize.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THe message I get is, "No file available to upgrade. Please check it and retry." I did check it and found the file Laurel(-t?) on it ,retried installing it per the power point, and got the above message again.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Did you unzip the downloaded file in USB drive as instructed in Samsung upgrade guide?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed the instructions exactly, step by step. The instructions said not to change the file in any way, and I did not.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, plug the USB in TV, press Menu then go to Setup and select Software upgrade option, what message appears at this point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was one window that popped up on the tv screen that was not mentioned in the instructions, asking if I wanted to open multi media files. I chose no.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, it seems you need to format USB drive to FAT32 file system in computer to get it refreshed then copy the firmware file on it, unzip it and try again to upgrade TV firmware.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do that?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Connect the USB drive into PC, go to My Computer/ Computer window and right click on USB drive icon and select Format option to format it, make sure to select FAT32 option on format popup window.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I return it to normal after I am finished?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Just delete the file on USB by connecting it again to PC and use it as normal USB drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems some of our message went back and forth out of sequence. Let me review. The multi media window that popped up happened as soon as I plugged in the USB. Does that make a difference in your reformatting advice?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Since TV isn't going to recognize firmware file while it is on USB drive so I suggested to Format it that will refresh it and delete all files on USB, copy firmware file again and try again to upgrade TV firmware.

Format will delete all media files in USB so please copy them on PC for backup and can copy them back on USB once firmware work done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I do it on a USB drive with files already on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, didn't see your last post. I've been trying to find an empty drive.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I'm afraid no as it will confuse the TV, copy the files from USB to any folder on PC to get backup and free the USB drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have windows 8. 'My Computer' no longer exists. Where do I go to reformat the USB?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I don't have Windows 8 so not familiar with it (Windows7 user here), however, following link will help to get my computer which has been changed to File Explorer..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/where-is-my-computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my computer, searched, sent me to the files page. Right clicking shows the USB is already a FAT system with capacity 123MB, 2048 allocation unit size, and nothing that says 32
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah, stay away from 8, and I've heard 10 is even worse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm stuck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
still
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No problem, format it on FAT system which is actually FAT16 system but will work.

Windows 10 is better but I couldn't find "Favorite" folder in it to put my bookmark pages so revert to Windows7.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The empty USB is already 'FAT'. Tried it, but had the same results.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, it seems either TV has already latest firmware so not accepting same version firmware to over write it OR downloaded firmware file is corrupted and causing the problem. Please try to download fresh file and try again.

If it still doesn't work then board swapping is next option to resolve the problem.

I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.
Regards,
Shahid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the FAT32 reformat option in a drop down menu, reformatted, redownloaded the update file. Tried it in the tv again, with the same bad result.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think the download is in a readable format.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

TV can read it as firmware file so its format isn't an issue, usually firmware file isn't in known format, I would recommend to download the file again from Samsung link and check its size that should be 13.3 MB (13,950,976 bytes) and try again.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message I get is there is no file that is recognized on the drive, so I don't believe it is an up to date file on tv that is causing the problem. The folder is 15 files, 14.3 MB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The file as downloaded is 13.3MB, unzipped on the drive is 14.3MB
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

I was talking about "20080417152825531_T-LAUREL" downloaded file.

After unzip/ extracting it you will get a folder "T-LAURAUS0" that should contains 8 files and one folder "images" that contains 7 files. and "T-LAURAUS0" folder size should be 14.4 MB (15,110,144 bytes).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Started from scratch. Same result. Sorry you couldn't help me.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

If firmware update doesn't fix the TV then need to replace LED drive and/or sub power supply board in TV that I already explained in my previous replies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am an engineer. I see no evidence that the software download has occurred. The message says it didn't even see the software. I am not going to pay you for your advice, then go buy components that may or may not fix the problem, when it could be the software i downloaded seems not to be the right one for the tv to recognize. I do not want to go through all that, find out the software is the problem by eventually paying a technician to come to my house to fix it after I've jumped through all the hoops without success.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am no further ahead than I was before we started communicating. I am actually behind as I have wasted the time.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, please do not rate the answers and leave them as it is. Contact customer service for any billing issue.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Call:(###) ###-####/p>

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Wish we'd been successful
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

No problem, we will next time.