Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I just got a hand-me-down tv from my brother, a Sony

Customer Question

I just got a hand-me-down tv from my brother, a Sony KE42TS2U. I can't seem to get it hooked up right with my Cox cable box. I've used all different types of cables (composite, AV, HDMI) but none of them give me any picture except the composite (but the screen is green). I also have no sound. This is really annoying. I've been trying for days.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems. You either have a faulty Cox cable box, or you're not connecting the set correctly.

Please refer to page 8 of the manual at the link below. If using "composite" (Red,White and Yellow RCA cables), there are two possible sets of jacks you can connect to (Video 1 or Video 2).

You THEN need to use the Sony remote's "TV/Video" button to select the correct Input you're plugged into (Video 1 or Video 2 respectively).

Here is the manual. Connections are on page 6. Let me know if you need anything further:

https://docs.sony.com/release/KE42TS2revision.pdf

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable box is brand new and has already been checked out by the cable company. I have the tv currently hooked up to video 4 because that is where I have the composite cables hooked up. I have the full manual and have followed it's directions. Still no regular picture. I was wondering if I was using my cables incorrectly. When I hook up the RCA cables on Video 1 or 2, I get nothing. I've tried everything I can think of. I even tried to factory reset but it didn't seem to work.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Video 4 is for "component" not composite. Which cables are you using? Describe them.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are they "Red,White,Yellow"

Or are they

"Red,Green,Blue,Red and White"

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I meant to say component cables
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are red, green, blue
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Those can only be connected to Video 4, and IF you have a green tint to the picture- then you either have the Red in the wrong Red slot on either the cable box or the TV, or the red cable closest to the green is faulty.

Please disconnect these cables and grab another set. The green tint means the red jack next to the green is not receiving the red "component" of the video (which is why these cables are called that).

You still need red and white for SOUND in addition.

Change those cables and let me know what happens. I've seen this issue dozens of times.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill try
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The Green carries the Green color, the Red carries the Red color, and the Blue carries the Blue color. RGB

Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still here. Still have a green picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The component cables are in the order of red, blue, green so there isn't any green mixed with the red.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Did you REPLACE the cables with new ones? I also mentioned the red cable failing causes this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put a new set of cables on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are monster component cables
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

That brand doesn't matter- Monster cables fail just as often as regular cables. The green tint is caused by the red cable not sending any signal.

Instead, try this- locate the Red,White and Yellow jacks on the box.

You're going to take the cables and connect them as follows:

Red Cable- into Red under "Video 1" on the TV.

Other Red into Red on cable box.

Green cable into Yellow under Video 1 on TV.

Other end of green cable into yellow on cable box.

Blue cable into white under Video 1 on TV.

Other end of blue into white on cable box.

Use Sony remote's TV/Video button to select Video 1.

Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok trying that now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Alright, please follow those steps carefully.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says Video 1 No Sync
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you mean to keep the cable box plug ins in the component or the RCA?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried both ways and there's no change.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I specifically typed exactly where to plug in each cable above.

Read it again and plug them into Video 2 on the TV- making to to move BOTH ends of the cables so that red is in red, green is in yellow and blue is in white. Select Video 2 once you've done that. Make sure you're plugged into the colored slots I mentioned above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok trying that now
It says Video 2 No Sync
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142