TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sony Bravia kdl-32m3000 that has dark color

Customer Question
problems. The HDMI port works...
I have a Sony Bravia kdl-32m3000 that has dark color problems. The HDMI port works fine. The sound is fine. The menu screen for the television settings is dark. I have enclosed some pictures of what the screen looks like. I do not want to do any dvm testing,
but I can if you think it is necessary. But, if you are 99% sure what is wrong ... you can just give me your best guess and I'll take my chances. If there is an easy test to verify the actual board that is malfunctioning, that would be great too. If this isn't
worth fixing, you can tell me that. I am fine with bad news too. I want to spend a maximum of $100 for the parts. That's all I want to risk for the repair. Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
ColorPatternOnSonyMyBes...xlsx
ColorP...xlsx
ColorPatternTrueColorsM...xlsx
ColorP...xlsx
LinkForTestPattern.txt
LinkFor...txt
MSNonSony.jpgMSNonSony.jpgSonyBack.jpgSonyBack.jpgTestPatternOnSony.jpgTestPat...jpgTestPatterOnLaptop.jpgTestPat...jpgWeirdDarkEdges.jpgWeirdDa...jpg
LinkForTestPattern.txt
LinkFor...txt
10/26/2015
TV Technician: TV Tech1, Technician replied 2 years ago
TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician

I have enclosed some pictures of what the screen looks like.

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/vJesT3cG/MSNonSony.jpg

Odd, that picture on your computer monitor looks like the BAD picture you described, but if the TV's menu is dark, then its associated with the BM board and nothing else. Order this part if the menu is dark on the TV.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=56&q=kdl-32m3000

The test pattern on your computer is set too high on the brightness. You can see the pluge test pattern under the RED bar - it should just disappear into a solid black pattern when it's set right

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/Qvfroyyy/TestPatterOnLaptop.jpg

Your TV pattern looks correct, but the menu is NOT controlled by brightness/contrast controls. They are at a preset level by Sony, and that comes directly off the main board, and into the TCON. A Tcon affects menu and picture, a Main (BM) board can give you a good picture, but bad menu since the menu merges onto the picture just before it hits the TCON.

Once again, the problem you show seems to be on the computer monitor. Did we get mixed up on what needs serviced?

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/8QSbhKhw/WeirdDarkEdges.jpg

Weird dark edges on your monitor seems to show what we call "black crush" and that 1st picture of your monitor seems to show that same issue in the "red faces"

Yet your test pattern on your computer shows the black level has been turned up too high -- did you make an adjustment to the monitor when you created that picture?

If so, and your TV is where you think your problem is...it may be your TV is fine, but not your monitor.

I have not seen a picture of the TV's menu on top of the TV picture. Yet you stated the TV's menu is dark. Please note I can't open XLS files, please avoid information using that format.

Anyways, long story short - Even if I mixed up the pictures, the TV problem can be fixed by the BM board.

Here are some menu pictures. I noticed the color setting at 14 and adjusted to 49. I then opened MSN and put that web page on the Sony. Notice it is still red saturated. Do you still feel it is the main board / computer board?By the way, you really kick azz!

Do you still feel it is the main board / computer board?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's your problem.

Louie, Technician