Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Brought my big flat screen Samsung HD TV to a new house,

Customer Question

brought my big flat screen Samsung HD TV to a new house, connected it to AT&T U-verse cable box with HDMI, I get a 16/9 HD 1080i picture, but it only shows on the center PART of the screen--with very wide black frame surrounding picture. Not a "smart view"--but a 16/9 view that just doesn't take up the whole screen. Have changed every setting I can find, both in the TV's menu and in the cable box menu--yet nothing fixes it?? And then on one or two channels, the picture is more like a 4/3 size, again no matter what settings I try. Any ideas? thanks, Gary
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gary, Who's your cable provider and what's the make and model of the Cable Box please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also, what remote's "settings" are you trying- the Samsung, or the Cable Provider's remote?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried settings on both. box is AT&T Uverse, Motorola model VIP1200
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

First, reboot the Cable/SAT box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Upon rebooting, if the screen aspect is still incorrect, then look for the following buttons on the Cable/SAT remote:

Aspect
Zoom
HD Zoom
Ratio
(#) symbol under the 9 key

Find any buttons with those labels and use them to attempt to correct the picture size. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pretty much did that earlier--but will try again and holler when finished.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me know and if that doesn't work then reply back with the full model number off the back of the TV please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't work--on one channel I have a 4/3 cut off view, on others the not-full-screen 16/9 TV is UN60ES7500FXZA. worked perfectly in prior home connected to directv.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Offhand if it worked just fine off your old box- then the issue is likely your new box. Now can you tell me what settings in the TV you changed trying to fix this to save time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remember I am going from direct tv to now Uverse cable. I am a pretty smart electronic grand theater room set up person, have done all my wiring and set ups for years, so I generally know what I am doing--so I did the usual TV settings and box settings to assure I am on HD, have selected 16/9 1080i or p, etc. on everything
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for example, on NBC I get a 4/3 sized picture with big black side frames, on FOX I get a "small" 16/9 picture with 4-5 inches of black boarder all around the HD picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replies to me about the above issue have just stopped for two days?? what's the deal?