TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Samsung UN46B8000 has lost all color. The screen turns as

Customer Question
My Samsung UN46B8000 has lost...
My Samsung UN46B8000 has lost all color. The screen turns white as soon as you turn it on and the picture is barley visible in the background with no color. Please help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
10/23/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Does this happen with all sources/inputs (cable/satellite, dvd, apps, game, etc)?

If you bring up the samsung on screen setup menu, is that discolored as well?

regardless of the source. As soon as i turn the tv on, the screen turn bright white. The picture is very vague in the background with no color. Ive tried all inputs, same results.
Menu is vague as well. I just recently moved and took the tv off the wall to the back of our suv, out of the suv into our new place and plugged it in. It worked perfectly before i put it in the suv.

Thank you for confirming.

Can you please look/feel carefully around the screen, if there are any apparent cracks in it?

No damage to the exterior of the screen

There may be no visible external damage.

What you are experiencing however is symptomatic of internal hardware damage.

This could be a bad tcon board, main board, or damage to the actual panel.

Typically if the boards are at fault you'd have weird lines or patterns on the screen. A complete loss of color could indicate something wrong internally in the panel layers, which would be consistent with physical trauma from being transported improperly.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct.

To replace a tcon or main board (one or the other, not both) you'd be in the $250-300 range at a local repair shop.

If the panel is damaged, which really can't be known until both boards have been replaced, then the entire lcd display panel (screen) would have to be replaced, which is never really feasible. The part alone costs twice as much as a new tv.

At that point, for any of these really, replacement will usually make more sense for a 6 year old model that is already past its service life. You can get a brand new and upgraded LED tv of this size in the $400 range these days.

that is the picture, the lines are caused by the camera. they are not present on the screen. just solid white

From looking at it that is absolutely a damaged panel. The white line on the left looks like an internal crack, and the horizontal bands indicate panel damage as well.

Replacing the tv is really the only option at this point.

Which lines?

The big bright vertical line on the left that comes partway down the screen is what primarily concerns me and points to the panel being compromised, which is really the only logical explanation anyway for this happening after being transported.

that is the camera thats making the lines. there are no actual lines in the picture

Okay, well do the reset process, and try to take another picture from a better angle and with the flash off again if it continues

i just tried the reset process. the power button isn't an actual button. its one of those touch sensitive flush buttons

I understand, but it still senses the touch (after powered anyway).

explain that to me again? i hold it for 60 seconds while its unplugged and keep my finger on it while plugging it back and keep it on there for an additional 60 sec?

The initial 60 isn't such a big deal on the touch models because it isn't triggering a circuit until it is powered, the 60 while/after plugging is what to focus on.

ok i gotcha

Okay, it could still just be the camera, but I'm still making out some light horizontal banding, which implicates the panel above the boards.

In any case though, the issue persisting after the reset confirms internal damage which will ultimately require repair/replacement.

So ultimately you'll have to make a decision if it's worth investing a minimum of about $300 and on up to $700 (panel replacement) to have it repaired, or if you'd rather buy new at this point.

what is supposed to happen after holing the power button before and during plug in?

Well it should turn back on, if it doesn't let go and press power once.

The intent of this is to allow any residual energy inside to dissipate and let the tv reset itself.

This could help in the case of a firmware/memory glitch.
It cannot fix an underlying hardware problem.

i held it for 60 sec then the power button wouldn't work after that to turn the tv on.. i had to unplug it and turn it back on. same results, tv is still white. The weird thing is is that i had my nicer tv under blankets under this tv and its totally fine after the move.. dent make any sense...

Were they laying down flat?
That is typically what causes this type of damage. It really doesn't matter at this stage though, as there is clearly internal damage caused by the move, and no amount of resetting or adjustment is going to resolve that.

yea they were both lying flat

That is what likely caused it. Laying them down like that can cause the panel to flex inside and the layers can delaminate or the tab bond connectors can fail.

It's really just chance that it happened to one and not the other. You could make the same trip again with 5 more tvs and they may all be fine, or all be hurt.

nothing i can do myself? one guy mentioned that the ribbon cable may have gone bad

No. I would not suspect a cable at all. A cable doesn't spontaneously fail, and it wouldn't be a matter of a loose cable either because you have a consistent and even picture all the way across the screen. If you had a bad cable(s), you'd have lines, a half screen, etc.

well dang, i paid 2400 dollars for that thing when it first came out. i hate to just toss it..

I know they were expensive when they first came out, but the LCD technology is obsolete now, and already past its service life. Even if this damage didn't happen, I would have expected the power board to fail in the near future (commonly fails from bad capacitors), etc. So even fixing this specific issue isn't likely to extend the life of the tv significantly. It would buy you time, but it isn't going to last years and years longer.

I'm sorry I cannot offer a more optimistic answer for you in this case.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Repair Shop in New Braunfels, TX 78130 would be a big help

San Marcos Electronics
506 Country Estates Drive(###) ###-####/p>

Bond's Television & Electronics (in Austin)
1010 West Lynn(###) ###-####/p>

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

its a LED, will that last any long that the LCD you were talking about?

Well what you have is an LCD/LED. It is a LCD based display with led backlighting.

Prior to that was only LCD with flourescent type backlighting. Those are now obsolete, and LED is in fact on its way to being obsolete as well, as OLED technology becomes more mainstream.

Nathan, Installer