TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Our Vizio tv model number e472vle, has stopped responding it

Customer Question
is playing the antenna and...
Our Vizio tv model number e472vle, has stopped responding it is playing the antenna and that is working fine but it won't change anything else on the tv itself or the remote.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
10/23/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What do you mean it wont' change anything?
Will it respond to volume, or the menu?
Does it just seem to be "frozen"?

The Channel, volume, input on and off don't respond at all.

But other functions do?
(menu, power, etc)?

As an initial step, can you please unplug power to the tv for a minute for a quick reset, and let me know how things behave then?

We installed a video survalence system and my husband unplugged the tv and when he plugged it back in that's what happened.
No nothing works though the tv is playing the channel it's stuck on at the volume it's stuck on.

There are many possible causes of this issue. Please do the quick unplug/reset as requested to see if that restores functionality.

Ok I turned it back on now there is audio and not visual but nothing else works

Okay can you please disconnect the surveillance system that you had hooked up previously, leave it disconnected, and unplug the tv again for a moment, then check how the antenna works at that point.

Ok did that, the visual and audio are working again but non of the buttons.

No buttons on either tv itself or the remote?

Byes that is correct the power on works but not off.

Thanks for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This is most likely the result of damage induced while connecting the camera system.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please do remember to rate my service prior to logging off, hopefully I have earned an “excellent”. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1gHgj1k

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan, Installer