littlerusty2005
littlerusty2005, Expert
Experience:  Plasma, LCD, LED, converters, resolution specialist.
63817454

Two weeks ago I started receiving a message when I clicked

Customer Question

Two weeks ago I started receiving a message when I clicked on GSN " GSN is currently not available Try again later". I was able to get it before. What is causing that?
Category: TV
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Rusty. I've built cable TV systems, I know how they work. GSN is a channel that comes with certain packages. Since you have a new cable box, it is likely your cable company has not sent the signal to it authorizing GSN. You will need to call them and have them authorize the channel.

Additionally, make sure your cable fittings are tight, as those can cause interference if they are loose, and block certain channels.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable box is new because I replaced the other cable box that was doing the same thing. I had a length discussion with Time Warner Cable yesterday and they told me that it was not the cable box.

Hmm, how are the channels that are next to GSN, can you view them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The channel on one side of it is the same thing with the same message. The channel on the other side of it comes in perfect.

Ok, and how far from the pole/pedestal is your house? (How long is the cable run from your house to the pole)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That channel has no problem coming in on my other tvs. Just the Samsung in my office.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our cable is underground by the way.

Ok, it still could be affecting the signal. Over a length of cable, the high band where GSN is can go below the low band, requiring an EQ. This is true for aerial and underground cables. Let's see if we can manipulate the system.

Locate your cable distribution. This may be a splitter, or a distribution amplifier. Is the cable going to your office labeled? If so, tell me what you see on the splitter so I can identify the hot leg, and we'll plug your office cable into that one.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

It's where the cable splits off. There is one cable that comes into your house, then it splits to feed your separate rooms. That is where we can possibly fix it. In all reality, I believe you will have to have a tech come out and re-EQ the amplifier that is in the hard line pedestal. That is not something you can do, that requires a tech with a meter, and tools. That is up to your cable provider.

To prove it's not your box, plug in your problematic box into another TV, and try to pull up GSN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That would be in the attic.

Ok, that is what we need to look at if we're going to fix this. If they are not labeled, and you don't have a cable toner, this is going to be nearly impossible. The trick is to locate the cable that goes into your office, and plug it into a different port, but this will only work on certain splitters. Otherwise, the cable company will have to come out, read your signal, and EQ the signal to get your high band optimized. It's pretty complicated, I worked in cable for about 10 years. It's not a simple task, and requires extensive knowledge, and permission to work on the main line.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I was on the phone with Samsung at the same time. They said that the software in the tv needs to be upgraded. He is emailing me instructions on how to do that.

Hmm, I disagree, but tell me the results. It sounds like he's going through the motions of tech support. I believe the problem is in your cable system, since GSN is out, and the lower channels work fine. Is it the channel above, or below GSN that isn't working?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked. It is actually both. The channel below and the channel above.

Yep, that's a cable length issue. You're going to need something like this, click here, as well as one of these, click here. That will amplify the high band as well as the low band, and the EQ will drop the low band, so that there is the proper spread in signal, and it will be optimal with your cable box.

You can get these from your cable company, they usually pick up the bill on stuff like that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually have a cable technician coming this evening. I will throw this at him. Is there anything else that I need to bring up to him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they usually have those on hand?

Yes, they usually have them on hand, but you may want to call and alert that they may need a line EQ, just in case. It's not very common to use those, but they come in really handy when you need one. Otherwise, he'll have the EQ for the amplifier in the box, but the problem with that is, it affects everybody down the line. With the line EQ, it only affects that one box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will call them and tell them. We will try that. I am so frustrated at this point. Everybody wants to pass the buck and I am not getting any results.

Well, keep in mind, I built cable TV systems. They all work the same way, and I was very good at my job. I specialized in stuff like this, and was the quickest, most efficient troubleshooter on the payroll. Noticed I asked about the neighboring channels, that's a dead giveaway. Unless a critter has chewed through your cable in your attic, it's an EQ problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not doubting that at all. I do by all means hope you are right. I am frustrated with Time Warner and Samsung. I would indeed like to follow up with you after they come this evening. How can I reach you to do that?

Bookmark this page, and you can reach me here. :-) It's not a problem with your TV, it's with the signal not being optimized for your cable box, which is what decodes the cable signal that it sends to your TV. Your TV is fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done. I will definitely be getting back with you.

Sounds good, any good cable guy with a meter should know what to do. Feel free to share my notes with the tech, I'm sure he will agree.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Time Warner technician came out this evening and fixed the problem. You were wrong about what the problem was. It was not an EQ issue nor was it a cable length issue. I am not satisfied with your service. I should not owe you a thing.

Can you share with me the problem and solution? It had to be a problem with the cable, a fitting, or the cable length.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The existing underground cable had to be replaced. It was worn out and was saturated with water. We have had a surplus amount of rain in the last few months which I am sure contributed.

Yep, you said it was in the attic, I mentioned a critter may have chewed through it. Water has the same effect to RF through a cable. Thanks for your reply.