Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The stand by light only stays on second not enough to turn

Customer Question

The stand by light only stays on for a second not long enough to turn the T.V on?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

Offhand this is a Plasma TV- not an LCD. Also can you tell me how long you've owned the set for and when the problem occurred- were there any storms or power outages?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to see my reply?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi . No Storms or power outage . Just switch the T.V. off by the wall socket and when I switched back on , the red stand by light only stays on for second . Not long enough to turn the t.v. on with the remote
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if the red light is shutting right off before you're able to turn it on- this is a failure with the power supply board in the set- often times simply removing the plug and plugging it back in can cause the capacitors on this board to fail. Offhand, this typically requires service to the set to fix.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up. Try this procedure up to 3 times if subsequent tries do not work (it drains residual current from the power supply).

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you still have the same problem, then this requires service to the set, most commonly the power board needs to be swapped out- and this is common with Samsung sets. Average cost for this repair is in the £700-900 range unfortunately. Other than the reboot procedure, there's nothing else on a user level you can try.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That doesn't seem to wrok
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.