TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sony VPLVW95 projector and a Sony Home Theatre

Customer Question
System (HT-M7/HT-M5/HT-M3). I just moved...
I have a Sony VPLVW95 projector and a Sony Home Theatre System (HT-M7/HT-M5/HT-M3). I just moved house and can't get it set up to work properly again. I can only get sound or vision (HDMI cable and a Sony blue ray player). I can't get both at the same tim, which seems weird and impossible. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
10/16/2015
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician

Hello

Welcome

If you connect up the blu-ray directly to the TV via HDMI (bypassing the hometheatre) does it work OK?this is a test/check not an answer thank you

Anthony

If I just select cable TV, the projector and home theatre provide sound and vision. It is only when I try to use a DVD or Blu Ray player that I encounter the problem. Bizarre!

I see please try a reboot of the home theatre and the blu ray by unplugging both from wallpower waiting 5 mins then replugging back in again, if that does not work please carry out the earlier check thanks

I did check it through a TV and it works works perfectly, because that has an audio return control built in, which the projector doesn't. So I'm trying to isolate the image through a projector and the sound through the home theatre system using a single HDMI cable from the BD to the HTS.

OK I don't know I will opt out perhaps someone else knows please await another tech thanks

TV Technician: Louie, Technician replied 2 years ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, a review; have you ensured that the HT-MH7 is set for "AMP" in MENU / HDMI / AUDIO.OUT

Hi, yes, when I use cable, it works fine with the same setup. There is only an HDMI cable for audio out.
How do you do that on this particular piece of equipment? Why won't the sound work for the BD when it does work for the SAT?

Second review; when selecting BD/DVD IN, have you verified that the HT-MH7 is set for "AUTO" in AMP MENU / AUDIO / IN MODE / AUTO

Do you mean with the same setup/connection and substituting the BD unit with a satellite receiver, there is sound from the Sony speakers? If ytes, the model number of the BD player please?

BTW when I say cable, I mean SAT probably in your vernacular.

A glitch with the multiple posts. As posted above:

...Second review; when selecting BD/DVD IN, have you verified that the HT-MH7 is set for "AUTO" in AMP MENU / AUDIO / IN MODE / AUTO

Do you mean with the same setup/connection and substituting the BD unit with a satellite receiver, there is sound from the Sony speakers? If yes, the model number of the BD player please?...

the Sony BD is BDP-S5100. Also the AMP menu options you suggested for HTS are not available, so I think we're talking about a different model, they're nothing like that, just left and right and R-range etc.
When I disconnect the projector, the sound of the BD comes through the speakers. Weird. So it is a setting in all BDs. I have 3 different models and all of them have the same problem.

For the second review, have you tried the instructions from the User's Manual? Please click HERE.

Please post 1 at a time, otherwise your posts would be overlapping and my reply would not be in sync with your last post.

And have you tried the first review, AMP MENU / HDMI / AUDIO.OUT / AMP?

No, this model is only digital. There are no analogue audio out components. There is digital in and out but HDMI overrides that. Before I moved, it used to work. That's the most frustrating thing.
Responding to your second response, I've already posted I don't have those menu options. But it doesn't alter the outcome or the fundamental issue. Why can I get sound and audio when using SAT but only sound or vision when using a BD?

Bear with me. Please confirm "..with the same setup/connection/HDMI cable and the same HDMI port is used in the Sony HT-MH7, swapping the BD unit with a satellite receiver, there would now be sound from the Sony speakers?..."

precisely. Just at the push of a few buttons on various controllers. But multiple different Sony BD players have been attempted, so I'm wondering whether the fault is isolated to that, and if I were to substitute a different brand of BD, maybe I could get it to work?

If "...swapping the BD unit with a satellite receiver...", then why still need to "... push of a few buttons on various controllers..."

OMG, I don't physically get up and disconnect and reconnect different units. I just use controllers like everybody else in the world. Forget it...

That was meant to be a test / confirmation to determine if it is a HT-M7 or a BD issue.

Still, good luck with the connections as I have opted out.

Louie, Technician