Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a 50" Vizio Smart T V, Last night out of nowhere the

Customer Question

I have a 50" Vizio Smart T V, Last night out of nowhere the screen went blank and a "no signal" appeared on the screen. I assumed I had a problem with the Dish receiver. This morning I checked the Vizio again, same problem, so I hooked the Dish receiver to another T V and everything worked fine. So there's a problem with the Vizio, what is causing this and can it be fixed? Please advise
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 years ago.

Hello

Welcome

After you tried the box on another set did you try it again back on the problem set?I am assuming you unplugged the box from wallpower before you done the check, if not please unplug the box from wallpower re-connect it back to the set and let me know if there is any change,

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hooked the Vizio to another working Dish receiver, still the " no signal" message on the screen

OK if you try another input on the set like a DVD player for example does that work?

Anthony

These checks are necessary to verify for sure that it is a problem with the electronics in the set

Let me know please

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hooked the Vizio to a working Dish receiver, the "no signal" message appeared on the screen, I hooked a working TV to the original Dish receiver and it is working fine, there's a problem with the Vizio??????

Right but if it was me I would be verifying that for sure with another input, if you say its TV that is OK , I will continue that way now you need to follow a procedure and the procedure is this assuming you are using HDMI

OK HDMI loss is a very common issue with modern sets and there is a procedure to follow, the first thing to do is >>try different hdmi products not just one to eliminate the product as the issue then>>

1)Un-plug the set from wall-power wait 5 mins then re-plug back in again try HDMI again

2) If there is a reset to factory default in the settings menu of the TV please use that try the HDMI again

3)If still no go go to the LG website and look for any firmware upgrade for the set under support for your model make sure you have the latest version of firmware.

If all fails then the main-board will need to be replaced (assuming the set is not under warranty) let me know when you get as far as that and I will advise further

Please consider rating the answer positively, rating me positively enables me to receive credit from the site, thank you, ***** ***** will remain open and stay open as long as you need it, if you have any concerns please don't rate instead press the "reply to expert" tab and I will answer any queries you have

Many Thanks

Anthony

Ignore LG its Vizio

I chose wrong manuf

But still same procedure

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have a HDMI cable connection, the signal from the receiver to the T V is through a coax cable

OK I was just trying to be quick for you, OK you still need to do the reset of the TV in the settings menu, then try the re-tune of the set, it seems the set has lost its tuning

Anthony

How is this working out please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Re-hooked the Vizio to the Dish receiver, went through the reset process, "set up complete" appeared on the screen, then "no signal" again

When you checked the box did you use the antenna input the same as the problem set?

Because as it stands the tuner is faulty in the TV

Now what I need to know is do you have any other outputs on the box like HDMI or composite?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have 2 Dish receivers, as I write this both receivers are working, sending working signals to separate tv's, I have the Vizio connected by coax to the original receiver, and it is displaying the "no signal" message

Yes I understand via the antenna socket but you see if the tuner in the TV is bad then the TV wont work, however if the box has a separate output like composite red/white/yellow you could utilize that output as a workaround

Or HDMI or component output providing your TV has the same inputs

Those other inputs I just mentioned are far more superior anyhow than antenna input

OR you can replace the mainboard in the TV and keep using the antenna input

I know what I would do.....you are in a win win situation if you use another input

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is the approximate cost of a replacement tuner?

Do you understand my explanation here?

It would be the main-board which contains the tuner about $100_$180

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
but if it's not cost prohibitive, I'd rather replace the tuner and be O E M.

OK you need to do this below

You need to get the back off the set, locate the main-board thats the one with all the AV connectors on, unplug and unscrew the board from the chassis, remove the board ,carefully examine the board for its part number usually found on a sticky label on the board or etched on the board, (you may need to go through a few codes before you find the right number)when you get the part-number try www.shopjimmy.com first, if they dont have it google the part-number to locate a supplier, its the reverse to fit plug in and switch on TV (plug and play)

Let me know if you need more info