Master Fix It
Master Fix It, Technician
Experience:  25 + Years experience repairing TVs, VCRs Computer etc.
11519491

I have a new Samsung 55inch 4k SUHD TV - UN55JS7000F. I

Customer Question

I have a new Samsung 55inch 4k SUHD TV - UN55JS7000F. I cannot get windows 8.1 or 10 to work with it as a monitor. The video cuts out, and the TV reports no signal on the HDMI/DVI input, no matter what settings I choose. I know the computer will work with it, as it works just fine at full resolution under several versions of Linux, so this is a windows problem. If I set it up as dual display with a Samsung HD monitor, the monitor works at 1080p, but the TV doesn't...the SUHD TV never shows up as a monitor.
Any ideas as to EDID or display driver setting for windows or picture settings for the TV?
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The first thing that needs be asked in this situation is: Was the Linux usage of it as a monitor, through a different port than the HDMI/DVI port? if it was through the VGA port instead, you need to go into the Samsung TV's MENU, and go to the Signal Source, and select the HDMI/DVI port as the Signal Source. Then, it should work - if your Windows 8.1 or 10 is genuinely set up to use the HDMI port as a signal output, and if your HDMI cable is good quality and attached firmly at both ends.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was identical hardware in all cases...I tried the hdmi/DVD port, and the Displayport sockets. It always works in Linux, never in windows. I've tried all the options in the TV menus, and multiple options in Windows and the Intel display manager.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What maker and model # ***** Windows computers have you tried with the Samsung TV?

Are they all/both laptops?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pc is zotac zbox e1750
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

In some PCs, esp. laptops, a key combination, e.g. Fn-F8, is needed to switch On the External Monitor Port.

In yours, that might be a setting in the BIOS Setup options. But not being familiar with Zotac as a brand, I must give you the general advice, to seek the options out, and see if they mention External Monitor, or HDMI Monitor, etc.

Also - does your Zotac PC work OK, as to output-to-a-screen, with some other screen? you never know, it just might be defective somehow. I advise testing it with another screen or monitor device to be certain.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said, I've tested it at full 4k resolution in 4 different Linux versions, running full audio/video. The only change was windows. I have an external 1080p monitor too, and it works just fine with that. That's why the question is about the TV, as I suspect this is a settings/EDID issue.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps it is indeed settings. It was worth checking on though, I think.

Well, then, your Zotac PC needs to try a driver for the Samsung TV *as* a monitor, I think.

Or have you already tried that? if I were trying it, I would look for a samsung.com page for that TV model with a downloadable driver for your exact Windows version...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Clearly, the hardware works fine, it's the TV/windows combination that's the problem. Neither Samsung or Microsoft have an answer, hence my asking here.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It is true: Samsung's site has no download for this TV except the manual.

I confess I have no further idea what to offer for advice to help with this problem. Hardware failure might be what is wrong, if the HDMI port on the Zotac PC does not work (-was the working Linux output on the same computer, through that same port? if so, that's out as a possible explanation.)

Since I am not sure what's wrong, I have Opted Out, with apologies, opening the case to other Experts in this category.

Expert:  Master Fix It replied 1 year ago.

Hi I am Tech Michael, I have read all the conversations you and the other tech Russell have posted and have had these issues myself.

On this particular one there is a key sequence that needs to be entered to get this TV to connect as a monitor.

Unfortunately I don't remember the sequence lol, but I know its very do-able;-)

I have used both Linux and Windows with the same working results on this TV.

You can try calling Samsung support on this for that info which they should have available to you, but also I have put in a tech request for this info as well. it may take me a day or so to get that depending on when they are able to reply to me.

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate kindly thus far, it won't cost you anything to rate my service to you kindly,

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

You can reach the correct site for this: 1-***-***-****.or (1-800-SAMSUNG)

Tech Michael