Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Our Vizio tv started making a "crackling" sound tonight,

Customer Question

Our Vizio tv started making a "crackling" sound tonight, getting louder as the volume is turned up. All stations have the same "staticky" sound. Is there anything do to make this go away?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. Can you please tell me if there is a cable/sat box connected to the TV that you receive broadcasts from?

Also are you able to get the model number off of the back of the TV?

How long have you owned the TV for please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need assistance here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Set is about 5 yrs old. It is a Vizio E420VA. It is connected to an ATT cable box.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply. This can be caused by a glitch in the cable box processing, or a failed/loose HDMI cable.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box from power.

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Plug the cable box back into power, and once it's rebooted, turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore normal sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the same problem please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Is the sound still crackling? if not then the HDMI cable may have been pulled loose, or the box processor simply needed to be rebooted. If however you do still have the same problem, then the next step would be to replace that HDMI cable- as they are digital, and can cause this issue when they go bad. Please reply back and let me know where you're at- or alternatively, please click a 5 star rating at the top of the page for my efforts.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.