Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

Moved tv to another location, have sound, picture but can

Customer Question

moved tv to another location, have sound, picture but can not get on input source No's 1,2,&3 but have TV, 4,5 &6..Tried putting it back on original station and hook up but only get on Input source TV 4,5,& 6( used to get all 6 before but added new dvd player and xfinity new box and attached cable box to new equipment with the HDMI cables. How can I get back to the lower ones? Thanks Jerry
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
By the way , this is NOT an answer so there is no need to rate yet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Go ahead and type is ok..Have to get my handicapped wife her lunch and pills soon ok
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

No problem , there is no rush and I was going to dinner soon myself.

Just a couple of quick questions coming up

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

When you say that you moved the tv , do you mean in another room in the house for example or a new home and different cable system ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Also , right now I`m not sure if you are talking about tv inputs or channels when you say 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 ??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Moved it to another room and on the same cable system with splitters to computer, etc. Yes I was using 3 for dvds, 5 for tv
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
These numbers are on the Input Source
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then right now all you have connected to this tv is the dvd and cable box , is that correct ?

You used to have the tv connected directly to cable ( no box) , is that correct ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then you connected your equipment to input 3 and 5 .

What is happening now , you cannot see them ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The original site was on the Xfinity cable box and when moved to the new location was just on tv cable I splitted to connect
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I connected to the cable and hit the Input box all I could bring up was TV,$,5 &6
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

You mean the INPUT 4 ,5 and 6 ?

What is the problem here then , isn`t your cable box on input 5 ?

Is it the dvd thats missing on input 3 ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Is the cable box working at this time ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Sorry but this is getting to be confusing here , I cannot tell which is what so lets start this again .

Is the cable box connected directly to the tv with an hdmi cable on input 5 ??

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have any other equipment tied into this site. I think when I work on the input source and delete the 4.5.and 6 and leave TV, 1,2.3. I get only the TV and it goes on 3 analog with a flashing black and white screen with noise
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Why would you want to change the channels on the tv when you have a cable box connected hdmi that has that job , the tv doesn`t change channel , you simply set it where you connected the cable box and then use the cable box remote to change channels .

I think you are confusing channels and inputs , again your tv does not change the channels , set it to input 5 if that is where the cable box is connected and then once you see a picture use the cable box remote to change channels, not the TV's remote

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jack..I replaced this set from the site where the cable box came in and this TV was set up along with the dvd and everything worked fine. This set after many year finally would not play the dvd etc so I purchased a new set and removed it to this new location..Do you think I need another cable box?
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

I think you need the cable guy to set this up yes and if you have a new tv then have a new cable box as well .

In either cases that will fix the problem

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

What I meant above is that reviewing what was said so far , if you were to get a new cable box then the install usually comes with it and that would certainly clear that problem .