TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

When i turn on my tv with the remote (connects to ATT DVR

Customer Question
box and a sony amp...
when i turn on my tv with the remote (connects to ATT DVR box and a sony amp set to SAT) i get yellow/green vertical lines and sound. the tv turns on and off a couple of times by itself until the picture finally comes clear. sound is okay.
just turned it on and could hear the channel, but the screen was totally black. i put in a dvd to test and the picture came back. i switched back to SAT on the amp and the tv signal, picture and sound are all restored.
what's wrong?????
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
10/13/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me the make/model of the tv?
What about the amp?

Do you get the lines any other time, or do they only happen when first turning it on?

It's a Samsung model PN58Q55051FX2A (that's the info on the side). Only get the lines when I first turn it on.

So if you power it back off shortly after using it, do the lines happen again right away?
Or does it seem to happen only before the tv has had time to "warm up" a bit?

I'm assuming you have the sound coming only through the sony speakers, correct?

Next time you turn it on, can you please try to immediately bring up the samsung on screen setup menu, and let me know if it appears normally, if it floats in front of the lines, or behind the lines?

correction, PN58A550S1FXZAI'll turn it off now and turn it back on to see what happens. Sound comes through the TV, only through the SONY speakers if we switch them. We don't do that often (just during games and when watching movies). On-screen setup menu? Good grief. How do I get to that?

You should have a MENU button right on the samsung remote (or on the side of the tv)

It is where you'd see the options to adjust picture settings (brightness, contrast, etc).

It came right back on, no lines. must only happen when the tv has been off for a long period.
i use an ATT remote
i see the menu button on the samsung remote. when i press it now (the picture is on and fine at the moment) it appears "in front" of the picture.

You have to use the samsung remote for this.

Okay thanks.

Since it seems to be working for now, we'll need to observe this more later, when it comes back.

In the meantime, can you unplug power to the uverse box for 60+ seconds to reboot it?

Can you also tell me how things are connected? Ie: does cable, dvd, etc go into the tv directly via hdmi? Or is everything patched through the sony receiver then just one hdmi out of the receiver to the tv?

I will do that, and good heavens, nope. I have no idea. My husband set it up and can answer those questions. Is it possible to continue this conversation with him when he gets home at 4 (we're on Central Time)? Do I have to purchase a subscription for something to get back to you? (Don't really want to do that .... I paid $5, and I'm happy to pay the full $38 for your great help, but hope this is a one-time thing)

You don't need to subscribe, and you can continue on with me anytime (even by phone, if preferred, though the site does charge a bit more for that add-on).

Just bookmark/favorite this page so you can return to me on the original question and reply back to me here when ready.

Just don't open a new question though as that would cost you more.

Thank you, ***** ***** just leave this browser open and Bill will pick it up when he gets home. Appreciate you!

Sounds good, I'll wait to hear from you later today.

Hi Nathan. I'm Bill. Yes, everything is routed the the Sony receiver with just an HDMI cable going to the Samsung TV.

Hi Bill, thanks for confirming.

Offhand, this is most likely to be a tv issue, indicating the beginning stages of a hardware failure in one of the boards that generates the picture on the tv.

For right now, as long as it doesn't get worse, it's just something to keep an eye on. If it starts happening all the time or won't go away we'd be looking at repairs/replacement.

It is possible also though that this is just an interference or hdmi hardware handshake issue with the receiver.

A possible fix for that (which would also confirm/diagnose the problem) would be to instead route everything (cable/dvd/etc) through the tv directly via hdmi, then run a separate optical cable from tv back to sony for sound.

Thinking ... hang on please

Sure take your time.

Bill went in the other room to look. This all started when our ATT remote went belly-up. They mailed us a new one, we set it to a Samsung TV, then when he had time, Bill set it up so we'd need just one remote (instead of one for the TV, one for the receiver, and the new ATT remote for the DVR. I don't know all the ins and outs of that, but that's when this vertical line / video connection issue started happening. Seems like quite a coincidence that the TV hardware itself would go out at precisely the same time ... right? It seems to take longer and longer to "correct itself" (it turns on and off) until today when I turned it out there was no picture at all. Just sound. So Bill just said he'll try different variations of connection to see if he can isolate the issue.Where are we with you and the charge (payment) while we try some stuff over the next few days?

It does seem like coincidence, yes. This could quite easily be a problem with the box though, did you ever reboot it as I mentioned before?

Your fee for my help won't change - though at this point you would have already been charged the agreed upon fee by the site. I'm an independent tech though, so I'm only paid for my work when you leave your rating/evaluation (stars, above our chat). Either way I'll be available to help if you need to come back and forth while checking/changing things.

It is worth at least rebooting the dvr, and trying the alternate connections.

If you find that the problem happens only with cable, that would mean you've got a bad/failing box or a bad hdmi cable.

What I'd really like to see tested is to hook the dvd directly up to the tv, set it to dvd mode before you shut it off for the night.

Then come back the next day (after it has been off quite awhile) power on dvd, then tv, and see if the lines are there still. If so, then it is a tv issue.

I have no idea what you just said (lol) but Bill will. And thank you, Nathan!

That's okay, he will probably get it, but I'm here for you if any clarification or more info is needed.

Just let me know.

Nathan, Installer