Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I can't get the roku to work.it is hooked up to the hdmi

Customer Question

i can't get the roku to work.it is hooked up to the hdmi port.and on. but when i try to set it up with the remote i can't figure it out.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Are you able to see the word "Roku" floating on the TV screen?

Also what is the model number off of the back of your TV?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i can't . just cable tv only. i don't know the model number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the original TV remote nearby- you need this to change the Input the TV is set to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have it. i clicked hdmi 1 and tried different things like sat, game, other. and the screen does not change
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

You need to locate the "Source" button on the Philips remote and change the "Source" to HDMI- the same HDMI port the Roku is plugged into (HDMI 1, HDMI 2, etc.). Then you will see the Roku letters floating on the screen.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

No SAT, game or anything else- select the HDMI port the Roku is plugged into. Select it then press "OK".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
put it on "none"??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it tries to make you pick what the aux is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ill try
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what you're saying. Let's try this- WHAT HDMI port on the TV is the Roku plugged into? Is it HDMI 1, is it HDMI 2? The port is labeled.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't know because the tv is really big and i had to squeeze behind it to put the cable in. the first outlet i tried, made the sound not work, so i put it in the other one.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Then you'll need to select HDMI 1, HDMI 2, one at a time and see which one shows the Roku image.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its in the one closest to the middle of the tv, if that helps
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a model of the TV? So, I can't locate specifics.....but probably HDMI 2?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Try them all- one at a time- all of the HDMI selections using the Source button.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me try the tv, instead of the remote, because with the remote when you click hdmi it sends you to pick the aux then it just take you back to the previous menu.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it s not working
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What's not working? Have you tried selecting all of the HDMI Inputs one at a time? Is the Roku plugged into power? Please elaborate as I'm not there to see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the roku is powered. i think its a prob with the tv menu. i choose hdmi and then it wants me to pic game, dvd ,sat, digital stb, pvr, hd, cable or none or other. I'm trying hd now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I don't know....I've never seen a TV ask that, and I don't even know what model TV we're dealing with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the upper part of the remote you can pick tv or aux or cable or dvd
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Don't pres any of those buttons- use SOURCE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i push set up, i push source, then i push hdmi, then it makes me choose on of those choices.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out- which simply opens the question for other Experts to assist. Please do not rate at this point, as it may hinder another from participating in this dialog. If you're not interested in any further assistance with this problem, you can self-refund by simply checking the HELP link below, or contacting Customer Service from the Home Page.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/topics/142

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you get me an answer soon?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.

Hello , my name is Jack

Do you still need help with this ?