TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Samsung 50PF9630A/37 with red light blinking 7

Customer Question
Hello, I have a Samsung...
Hello, I have a Samsung 50PF9630A/37 with red light blinking 7 times. I changed the suspect caps even though none were bulging on the power board with no avail and still have red light blinking. The green light on the power board also blinks 13 times. Change out power board or trash tv? What else to check?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Power Board lj44-00108c in tv now. A little hard to find. I am hoping that the blinking lights will be able to code the issue. I have electronic training but lost when it comes to tv's. Hope you can help. Thank you
10/4/2015
TV Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 2 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer

Welcome to the site. I'm Dan, and I'd be happy to help.

Can you double check the make and model, please? The 50PF9630A is a Philips model, but you post says Samsung. I just want to make sure we're talking about the same TV.

Sorry, Yes it is Philips. I had Samsung on my brain

OK, and the red LED is flashing 7 times, right? Any other symptoms? Does the TV turn on, then shut down and blink? Or does it blink as soon as you try to turn it on?

it will light green for about 10 seconds. Clicks and turns red flashing. There is a green light on powerboard blinking 13 times

Power board blinking is fine. Does the screen do anything at all?

nothing on screen

I always make the room very dark... then watch the screen closely as I turn the TV on. Tell me if the screen lightens up at all...

Even briefly.

nothing at all
I will try one more time though and double check

OK.

nothing on screen?
flashes green to red in just a few seconds

OK. Is this the original power supply or was it replaced? Are you the original TV owner?

I am not the original owner, but have had it for about 4 years. I do not know the history

OK, and the TV has been working well for 4 years? No repairs since you've owned it? Which caps did you replace?

Two 10v 3300uf caps everyone points to in the forums. Cant remember location but it seemed to be common

OK if you had a power board issue, those are the right ones to replace. Good work. Problem is, I rarely see 7 blinks caused by the power supply. Usually that's 5 or 6 blinks. On this chassis, it's more common for the Y-sustain and buffers to cause this issue.

working well

And on these Philips models, you cannot replace just 1 buffer or just the Y-sustain. All 3 boards have to be replaced unless you want to blow something up. The upper buffer, lower buffer, and Y-sustain all go together.

Sometimes we can repair them if we see something obvious. Melted ICs, burnt components, etc. on the buffers (upper or lower) or hot transistors / caps on the Y-sustain... you can replace individual components if they look fishy. Otherwise, all 3 boards have to go... if you want the TV up and running normally again. Sorry it's not good news....

Sounds like new tv? I am willing to change out boards but this sounds extensive?

Eh, depends on where we can get the boards. Give me a minute... let me see who has them.

ok

OK, the Y-sustain is $42 (here). Upper buffer is $21 (here). Lower buffer is $36 but they are currently out of stock (here).

Keep an eye on the lower buffer and order when they have it in stock. Those are really good prices.

Can they be changed without calibration or adjustment?

Yep, they're just plug and play. Make sure the power cord is disconnected for awhile before you work inside, and practice good ESD safety (keep yourself grounded to the chassis).

No soldering, no fancy tools. Just screwdrivers and some patience.

I would replace them for those prices. Usually they're much more expensive. If you have any other questions, just ask. I'm online most days, usually in the evenings.

Prices are cheep enough. Would you recommend trying this before scrapping the TV? Sure its not the power board?

Can't be 100% sure of anything, honestly, but it's highly unlikely that the power supply is the issue. When they fail in these Philips models, the caps almost always swell up. Even when they don't swell, it's those 3300uF caps but you already replaced those. The only other real possibility is a scan board, and all 3 have to be replaced together. I think you're safe, and yes I would replace them before scrapping the TV.

Sounds good Dan. I will give it a try. Maybe ebay will have the last board. I will use your links for the model numbers and get some on the way. Thanks

You're welcome!

Dan. The first board
996500030030 PHILIPS TV MODULE, Y-MAIN, LJ92-01046A, LJ41-02317A, 50MF231D/37, 50PF7321D/37
Does Not list my TV model number. Is this the correct board?

Yep it's compatible. You can also use BN96-02025A but it's quite a bit more expensive.

thank you. One more? Used boards ok?
Removed the boards now. Online ordering. Thank you

Used boards are definitely OK, just make sure there's a warranty. ShopJimmy.com and TristateModule.com are good used/refurb sites and all their parts are warranted.

Let me know if you need anything else, and please remember to leave a star rating on this page before you go.

Hey Dan, Received the new boards and will install them Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed. Will let you know if that fixed the set. Thanks

OK no problem.

Good evening Dan. Installed the boards and nothing changed. Back to the 7 red lights. It tries. Powerboard clicks, the two green led's at the bottom of the power board light, after about 5 seconds, clicks, they go out and red light flashes. Like I mentioned before then a green light on the power board located on an extension board on the upper left side of the power board just under two big caps flashes 13 times and continues to flash. What would you try next?

Interesting. I actually don't recall seeing this before. I'll opt out, which will allow the other experts here to see the issue. If they can help, they'll post here and you'll be notified. No need to rate the service you've received thus far, as that may prolong the time it takes for someone else to help.

Thanks Dan. Hope $123 later I don't want to give up quite yet. Even though I replaced the caps on the powerboard maybe it is still the culprit?
Dan. I never saw a post from anyone as you suggested? Did you give up on my problem?