TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sharp LC-42sb48ut tv when I turn on the red light

Customer Question
turns blue but the tv...
I have a Sharp LC-42sb48ut tv when I turn on the red light turns blue but the tv screen is blacked out
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
9/28/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, and sorry you're having problems.

How long have you owned the set for ans when did the problem occur (storms, power outages, etc.)?

We have owned the tv for about 3 yrs. no storms.
Problem hit about 2 days ago

Thanks for the reply. So the power light changes when you press power- but that's it? Does the screen backlight (meaning light up slightly over when it's off)? Also does the set have sound?

Does pressing MENU or Input on the Sharp remote pull these indicators on the screen?

So the power light changes when you press power- but that's it? Does the screen backlight (meaning light up slightly over when it's off)? Also does the set have sound?

No sound, no backlight. It is as if it is still off other than the on/off light change.

Thank you for the reply. We often see these sets develop faults after a few years, and in most cases it requires replacement of a component (the Power Supply or Main Board being the most common).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally with the Sharp logo. Try this procedure up to 4 times if subsequent tries do not work. Please reply back and we can proceed.

I am just seeing now that you've tried that once already. With multiple tries, does the screen light up even for a second?

I've tried it 4 times with change. Still nothing.

Okay, and sorry to hear. You're looking at either a mainboard or power board failure in the set, and to narrow it down further requires use of a multi-meter to test voltages in the TV. Are you looking to repair the set yourself? Or are you looking for a repair estimate and service locator?

No light at all

I will make some calls and find a repair shop. I guess it depends on the cost. These tv's aren't that expensive.
do I still have to pay you even though my tv is still not working?

The site can't guarantee a fix. I can only do so much from this end and can guide you if you have the proper tools to repair it. Otherwise there's no other option than to have a shop fix it, and the average cost for this repair is in the $250-$300 range- which isn't cost effective unless you put the labor into it yourself.

The site says 100% satisfaction.
Sorry, I do not feel I should be charged.

Sure. I have nothing to do with billing. Contact customer service from the home page. I'm an independent tech working of my own time- not a site employee. I'll opt out now.

Aric, Technician