TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Samsung UN58B860Y2F plasma it will not light up

Customer Question
when you turn it on...
I have a Samsung UN58B860Y2F plasma it will not light up when you turn it on. There is sound but no picture. It used to take while then it would come on. I have saw that as long a day to light up. Someone said it might be a fuse or a capacitor
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/27/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, There are many other things besides the fuse or capacitor that would cause this- in fact neither of those are common causes-as they would lead the set to not power on at all (no sound) or continuously click over and over again trying to turn on. Can you please tell me if the screen "backlights" (meaning comes on slightly lighter than if the set were off)?

Screen is black the blue illumination comes on the red power light the screen zero. Like I said sometimes after a hour or two it may light up but have saw it take as a day. This tv is seldom used

I read everything posted- thank you. I also realize the screen is black, what I am asking is if it's black as if the set were off, or a slight glow- but still black- no picture? Also what is your repair experience and what tools do you have (Multi-Meter, etc.)?

Black as if it were off

Okay, this narrows it down to the power supply board, or the Sustain/driver boards having become unstable/intermittent. I asked what your repair experience is, because there's more than one possible cause and to narrow it down you'd need to be able to test voltages inside the set, so?

We'll have an electronics degree from a tech . Never used much just messing with little stuff I know how use an ohm meter

Okay, the power board has voltages stamped on it (5, 12, Va and Vs). The Vs and Va are what power the sustain boards and the buffers- which produce the picture. These voltages are stamped on the board. Vs should be around 200 and Va should be around 90. Ground the black meter probe to the metal frame of the TV, then with the set plugged in and turned on, use the red probe to test those pins marked vs and va. Let me know what you find.

I don't have the back off

That's fine, but I posted the steps above so that when you do have the back off you can test. Do that, use the meter. and post back when you have had time to do those tests. Please don't reply back until then ,unless you have any specific questions- as it prevents me from working with other customers as well.

Va 12.6 vs I just get a 1 on the meter

Hmm, okay are you sure the meter is set to DC volts? Can you test it using a AA battery (1.5 volts) or on another one of the outputs on the power board so that we know it's reading correctly?

We're I am testing it has not got a 5 or 12 stamped on it
Where I am testing is a large green board in the middle of the tv
TV Technician: Shahid, Technician replied 2 years ago
Shahid
Shahid, Technician

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you. I need additional info of TV to troubleshoot the problem.
This is not an answer so do not rate it.

- Can you please recheck the model number written on back of TV as UN58B860Y2F seems invalid. Correct/ complete model number will help me to get related service manual for troubleshooting purpose.

Thanks.

Shahid
Shahid
Shahid, Technician