Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Samsung PN60E8000GFZA plasma TV ~ 3 yrs old. The TV

Customer Question

I have a Samsung PN60E8000GFZA plasma TV ~ 3 yrs old. The TV suddenly turns off after a short time and the LED starts flashing for 5 double pulses before pausing and repeating the sequence. At that time the tv will not respond to the remote and there is NO sound. Unplugging and replugging the tv will usually restart the tv, but not for long.
Contacted a "repair service" and they fiddled with the connections and tv settings to no avail. Said that the main board was defective and needed replacing. $450 later after the main was replaced the same problem persists. Now they want to replace the main logic board for additional money, of course, and claim that the main board was defective, so no refund there either.
I don't have any confidence in these guys, since that have not taken voltage measurements not even checked the fuses. I have a DMM, so I thought I might do some checks myself. What do you think?
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid and will be happy to assist you.

Can you please check Vs and Va volts on CN804 connector of power supply board with multimeter (DMM) at pin-1 for Vs and pin-4 for Va?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to disassemble the back.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, no problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK checked the Vs and it reads 220V. However, the fourth pin down reads only 12.88. Not sure that this is the Va, though. I'm testing the connector that goes from the power to the Zsus.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Vs volts seems OK but Va isn't as it should be approx 70V DC.

Do you get 15V at pin-6, 5.3V at pin-7 of same connector?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
pin 6 reads 15.3 and pin 7 reads 5.1. Pin 4 still reads 12.88. I'm assuming that I'm reading the right connector. It is very difficult to read the printing on the circuit board. The connector I'm testing is the one to the Zsus and pin 1 is the top pin on the connector, which reads 220.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, please check attached picture link to view power supply board image where CN804 is marked, zoom the picture to get better view of connector and volts table.

Now unplug CN4008 from z-sus (Samsung calls it X-Main) board and again check Va and Vs volts, if you get same readings then power supply board seems defective.

If Va volts increases (approx 70V) then x-main and y-main boards are suspected and swapping the boards will help to resolve the problem. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Regards,

Shahid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll do those checks. BTW, I was testing the correct connector.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

I understand, power board image is just to make sure we are on right track in troubleshooting.

Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. Double checked these results after disconnecting the ribbon to the Zsus. Pin 1,2 and 4 no longer give voltage readings. Pin 6 = 15.3, pin 7 = 5.2.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it the power board bad?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, please swap power supply board in TV at this point to see if it resolve the problem or x-main and y-main boards are also defective, I'm sorry about this news, this TV has bit complicated circuitry and one or more boards can go bad.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll have to order a power supply board. Do you trust the ones on Ebay or from ShopJimmy.com?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

if ebay supplier gives warranty of board then it would be fine, shopjimmy is out of stock for power board, however, please contact if they can provide one to you.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. ***** let you know the results? If so, how do I do this?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Please bookmark this page link to post any follow up question.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
good night
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Good Night!