Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Our volume keeps going in and out now. It use to go off

Customer Question

Our volume keeps going in and out now. It use to go off completely and we had to shut tv off and put back on. Now it goes in and out. Very annoying. Not sure what to do.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box from power.

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Plug the cable box back into power, and once it's rebooted, turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Worked so far. Thank u
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome. If the issue keeps occurring, then I would suggest replacing the HDMI cable and as a last resort replacing the cable box. That is the most common cause of this problem.

Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Volume not working again. Cables and box new. Just upgraded.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Okay, then you must have a faulty Mainboard in the TV- since this is the only other component that can cause this. If you're certain your box and cable (though you did say it worked after the reboot), are working fine- then this means the TV needs repairs. If you're looking to fix this yourself, I will need the model number off of the back of the TV since there's no other way around it aside from fixing the TV.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Actually, let me ask you....Did you have the volume problem BEFORE they upgraded the box?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

We just want to make sure that the issue was ongoing with both the old box and new box.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it was with old n new. I will buy new TV n not a Vizio
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.

I understand, and would agree. We see much better reliability with LG and Toshiba sets on here. The cable box reboot was the only thing we could try on a user level. Sorry for the bad news.