TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Denon AV Surround Receiver AVR 1312, doesn't go into

Customer Question
surround sound, only comes out...
My Denon AV Surround Receiver AVR 1312, doesn't go into surround sound, only comes out of 1 speaker?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Can you see the box of what I have tried so far?
9/18/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, What is connected to the Denon for sources (cable/sat box, etc.)?

Do all sources only produce sound from one speaker?

When did the problem occur- was it after the unit ws moved, or there were storms/power outage, etc.?

Connected to cable box. It happened before when I changed to the Apple TV. This one time I couldn't find the right button
All sources come out of the 1 speaker

Okay you said all sources- but you said also that you only have a cable box connected- that's one source.

DVD player

Also, there's no button that makes the sound go from only one speaker to all speakers- it simply isn't within the normal operation of the receiver.

Any how, to sort this, I need to know the following:

Have you unplugged the Denon from power for 10 seconds and plugged it back in?

Have you RESET THE PROCESSOR of the receiver yet? If not, do you know how to do this?

Please reply back here, I don't use the phone call feature.

I'll unplug the receiver now and I don't have a manual so don't know about a processor

Thanks for the reply. Unplug it and plug it back in. Check the sound.

If that does not work, then shut it off (put into standby) then press and hold the << and the >> buttons on the lower right hand side of the receiver itself- not the remote.

Hold those buttons down while pressing power once.

The display should then start blinking. Release those buttons and the processor will be reset. Check the sound then and see if it's only coming out of one speaker.

Do you still have the same problem?

I don't use the phone call feature, simply reply back.

The LED came up PL II C SAT IS UP ON IT NOW.

Okay, and?

It's showing the Cable/SAT source is up, and that it's in Pro Logic II mode. So what is the sound doing?

Still single

Okay, you've ruled out ALL settings on the receiver by performing that reset- so it's not a pushbutton fix.

Did you check DVD as well since the reset, or only the cable box?

onlY cable but will try the DVD

Okay, try that and let me know if the results are the same.

Still single but the LED says PLC C BD

That simply means the receiver is on the BD (Blu Ray) source selection. If the sound is only from one speaker, then your receiver has a hardware fault in the processor. We just reset the processor which supersedes ALL settings and adjustments on the receiver. So that rules out any buttons you could press to fix this. The unit would require repairs which is on average a $250 repair from Denon. I'm sorry for the bad news on this one and wish there were a quick fix. In many cases it's money better spent to replace versus repairs, since a brand new entry level Denon can be purchased for around $280:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS510B/Denon-AVR-S510BT.html?tp=179

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Great news the surround sound is working on the movie

Oh? The movie- please elaborate on that. The movie on the cable station, or the movie on the DVD player?

DVD player and the LED says Dolby D BD

Okay, now switch over to the cable box setting, and then check. If the sound's not right, then reboot the box by disconnecting it from power and plugging it back in. Once it reboots check the sound and let me know what happens.

Ok

Ok.

Back to the 1 speaker
Was you talking about the Receiver to unplug?

No the Cable Box. And you said you only had one speaker on the Cable Box before so....not sure what you did or what changed here.

I'll unplug the cable box, the other time was the receiver

Oh, okay sorry I thought I typed the cable box.

Back to one speaker for both TV and DVD, BOX says Dolby D BD

Okay, unfortunately this is a fault in the processor of the Denon as it seemed initially. This is a digital component which processes all of the surround decoding and other functions in the receiver. It's not uncommon for this issue to occur when the receiver is around 5 years +, and it's unfortunately an expensive repair.

I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

You can try resetting the processor again, or leaving it unplugged for several hours or more, but in most cases this is something that requires repairs.

This receiver was replaced 1 1/2 years ago
Do you recommend any receiver?

I understand. What it's doing now is not within normal operation of the receiver. If it was, then it would be something the processor reset would have fixed. Units I would recommend which have much less of this type of failure are Onkyo or Yamaha as a second choice.

My last one was a Yamaha and it only lasted 2 years.

I don't know what to tell you. All brands have lemons. The ones "we see the least failure with" are Onkyo and Yamaha- in that order. Denon is one of the most common failing units that we see daily, right next to Bose.

Thanks

You're welcome. If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Do you need any further assistance with this?

Aric, Technician