Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

When using Logitech Harmony 900 universal remote, I get a

Customer Question

When using Logitech Harmony 900 universal remote, I get a message re: network interference. I can get to Smart Hub on Smart TV, but when click on Netflix, Pandora, etc., I get network interference message. Don't get this message when use Samsung TV remote.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

As an initial step, can you please remove the harmony battery for 60+ seconds to reboot it and let me know if the problem continues?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nathan. I took the battery out for 60 seconds and waited for it to reboot. I turned on the TV with the remote and when clicked on "Watch TV", I got the message "No signal". Then, clicked on "Watch DVD", screen came up on remote to click on Smart Hub but never went to Smart Hub. As for the TV, it showed that it was on the right HDMI hub, but message on screen was "Check Signal".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
TWC has been here several times, including this morning, and everything was fine. I even was able to control volume with the remote, which had not been working either. Since the network interference message, volume on remote does not work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Additional message prior to getting message above: Well, I thought I would give it a whirl again at removing the battery for 60 seconds and now the TV came on fine as well as the volume + and - worked. I'm still having the same problem with "Watch DVD" as described above.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I missed you earlier,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Everything here is pointing to a problem with the remote itself, which most likely needs a firmware update and the programming reloaded.
Did you set the remote up initially or did someone else program it for you?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was set up by Best Buy back in 2011.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Okay so you likely don't have the original programming any longer.

You can still do this yourself though, or you can have geek squad out, or I can help you do it remotely.

You'll have to connect the remote to your computer via the usb cable, download the logitech software (http://support.logitech.com/product/harmony-900) and upgrade the remote firmware.

It is possible that all of the programming will have to be recreated from scratch also.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - I would appreciate that help. I need to find the USB cable and then get back to you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

No problem, take your time.

If you can't find the original, it should be the same as the old blackberry/motorola charger cords, just a basic micro usb cable

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I found the USB cable, hooked up the remote to the computer and now on the website. In selecting OP version, I have 10.5.0, which I selected & it said no update available. There is one available for version 10.6, so I selected that hoping it will work (Today I downloaded Google Chrome, which said for Mac it was 10.6 or higher, but it worked and I'm using it. That's why I think I can use the Logitech software for version 10.6). Can I go on and click to Download the Harmony 900 software?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should my computer be recognizing the remote as plugged in? I don't see any icon for the remote on the computer screen.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You need to download the software, once it is installed, it should detect the remote (hopefully). Macs often won't work with these remotes at all though, even with the right software (it is more of a driver issue)

Do you have access to a pc you can use instead?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, will try download. I don't have a pc available, but will give it a whirl ....
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works.

If no luck, keep moving around to different usb ports and make sure remote is powered on

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The installation has started, but seems to be stuck at 1 minute left - has been almost 5 minutes. Ah, things are moving now - registering updated components now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just got the message that the software was successfully installed!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is a stupid question, but how do you know if remote is powered on? There is an electrical kind of symbol that comes up on the screen, then goes away after about 2 - 3 minutes. I pushed the ON button and the symbol came back up. While the symbol is up, the ON button is lit. Just now, the ON button went out (not lit) and there is a blank (black) screen.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Pressing any button should show something on the display. You can always have it on first before plugging in the usb.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While I was waiting, I went on and started the set-up. Going OK; just entered in the devices (TV, DVD, Cable box, Wii). Regarding the Wii, it says "Can't include this device because no bluetooth". I have been able to start Wii through the 3rd option on the remote, below "Watch DVD".
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You need to tell it to use infrared for the wee (or pick a different wii model)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I'm on the screen where we can remove or modify (only given for cable box). The only option given for Wii is "Remove". Not sure how to go back and revise that one. Only other option available is to add another device.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You can remove it and then add again (try picking just wii instead of wii u or the other way around)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have removed and going to try to add again. Let me know if these selections sound OK: I selected "Game Console with DVD" because it includes a DVD player. The other choice was "Game Console". Manufacturer = Nintendo. Model = RVL-001. This might be the problem because in the example they put "Wii mini". Model box is not a drop-down box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maybe I could just enter "Wii".
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You can try that, you can also program it in learning mode from an existing remote, if you happen to have a physical wii dvd remote

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You may have to just try it as game console only, it may not give the full control set, but should still work, it would just have fewer options on the screen.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I changed it to "Game Console" and now the example for Model is "Wii. I entered Wii and go on to the next page. Still got the notice re: blue tooth but able to go to next page. I have selected all the activities listed as recommended based on the devices listed. Alright, asking question re: how I change channels. Options: Samsung TV or Motorola Digital Set Top Box. The Box? Thanks for sticking with me on this. I have never set up a remote so some of these questions/issues are throwing me a bit!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You'd change your channels on the cable box.

It just needs to know what input the box is plugged to on the tv, so when you press watch tv for example it might set samsung to hdmi1, then change channels on the box.

It will want to know about volume too, which will be samsung (unless you have a theater/surround system)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a sound bar. It has not asked about volume; moved on to DVD.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Okay it will get to volume later and you'll pick the soundbar for that question (assuming you input the soundbar model number as a device)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh boy, I completely forgot to add the sound bar. I can't figure out how to go back and add a device. I clicked on 'Support' but nothing comes up. Sorry about this.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

That's okay, you have 2 options, you can get through to the end then add a device, or wipe it and start over from the beginning (a pain, but should go faster now and be a good learning experience for next time you need to adjust something)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will wipe out and start again. Will let you know when get all the devices in .....
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

No problem take your time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The original info is still there, so adding sound bar. As for type of device, is it considered an amplifier? Sound bar is not listed anywhere.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

It would be an amplifier or audio device, I'd go with amp first

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Now the system will assume that all your devices are connected to the tv directly (cable box, dvd, etc) which is most likely the case, so you probably just have an optical cable from the tv to the soundbar, so it then needs the soundbar set to the digital/opt input mode in most cases.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I restarted entering info, I got different screens than before. I finished going through several screens re: TV remote. I'm now in the section re: Samsung TV remote buttons pressed to display source inputs menu, cycle through menu, and confirm source input. In the drop-down menu for confirming source input, don't know what you call the key in the middle of the directional keys - that is what is used to confirm. By the way, it is 11:36 pm. Is this OK for you to continue on this?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

That is the enter key.

I'm fine for awhile, but if you prefer to pick it up tomorrow or another time, that is fine with me also.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There was no Enter key but a Select key which is the one I chose. I'm now on the screen to select a Quick Check or Full Check for activities for TV. The default is Quick, so will go on and do that. Let me see how that goes and then will get back with you.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

That is fine, ok/select/enter are all treated the same.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I finished setting up the TV and DVD player, but now it is cycling through the questions re: Samsung remote again. I cycled through the power toggle, channel up and number 1 keys and all three detected. On the next screen, it asks to the AD and InputAV buttons, which are not on my TV's remote. I select "My TV does not have these options; show me different commands". The next screen indicates could not find the device or one similar to it in the database. I have the following 3 choices: previous, cancel or next. Before, I clicked Next. If we can get this figured out, I will have to quit after that and pick up tomorrow. Just to be clear, will tomorrow be a second transaction? Do we schedule a time? Do I just need to click on the original question to start the question/answer again?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry I missed you earlier, didn't see that come through. Come back to this original question (I assume you are offline for the night), and you'll be back with me directly for no extra cost.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Are you sure you put in the exact model number of the tv?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - will check back with you tomorrow. I entered in the model # ***** the back of the TV. I also found 'Model Code', which had 3 additional letters at the end.Have a good evening (actually, early morning!).
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Thanks you too, and good luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Nathan, I have opened up the Logitech program and on the screen with 3 tabs: activities, devices, and remote settings. I can redo the set-up of the TV if need to switch model #. I mentioned in my last entry that there was a model # ***** well as a model code #, which 3 additional letters at the end. Is the model code # ***** I should be using?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

What you'd use is the full number, meaning model #+code, all strung together

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

So you'd enter UN75J6300AFXZA for example, not just UN75J6300

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - will redo the TV set-up and see if that makes a difference re: recognizing the Samsung remote.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now been directed to test and set up the RF system. I have a miniblaster set with the soundbar which is in front of the TV. Another miniblaster is with the DVD and the big one is with the digital cable box. I am now going through the directions on the universal remote itself. The first step is asking if want TV and/or DVD controlled by RF - I'll enter 'yes'. Now, on the Test screen so will run test and let you know what happens.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** you're making good progress so far.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is set up for the TV and DVD, but need to go back to check the original set-up for the other devices. Will get back with you when completed that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One question ..... re: listening to music activity, I'm rethinking my original choice - is it 'use my Samsung TV to change channels' or 'use my Digital Cable Box to change channels'? Maybe I am not interpreting this activity correctly. I listen to CDs on the DVD and play Pandora (via Smart Hub). Are they talking about some other way to listen to music? Confused!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You want to use the box for changing channels, if you are referring to the use of the cable music channels in this case.

If you wanted to use a pandora app on the tv, that would be different, as would playing a music cd through dvd.

Your "listen to music" is just a shortcut, you can make it do 1 activity, but you have to choose which.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
currently I access Pandora (and Netflix, etc.) via Smart Hub. I get to Smart Hub on the universal remote via 'Watch a DVD' activity. When I play a CD in the DVD player, I do the same steps as if I was going to play a DVD. If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like the activity of listening to music will be re: cable music channels. Will select cable box. Am I understanding this correctly now?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Yes that is correct. The remote isn't going to understand specific navigational commands within the smart hub, it will really just get you to the hub/central page, and you navigate from there.

Same with dvd, you just have to keep track of what shortcuts are getting you to the proper area.

Now if you wanted to have an extra macro to listen to a cd, you could do that to have it power on dvd and sound bar and play the disc, without turning on the tv (for ambiance, to save power, etc).

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You can set up the macros to do whatever you want, just try to make it somewhat intuitive or easy to learn, so others in the house will understand what to expect from certain commands.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That sounds like a good idea - would rather not have the TV on to listen to a CD. Can you guide me through that? Just wondering - can you do the same thing when listening to Pandora, so can save energy, etc.?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You can't with pandora, because it's running through the smart hub, tv has to be on for that.

You can do what I was saying, depending on the connections. For that, you'd need a cord from the dvd/cd player to the soundbar directly (not just patched through the tv), so you'd set up a new Activity: turn on soundbar and dvd, set soundbar to dvd input (optical 1, perhaps), play dvd.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will put that on hold for now, but like the idea. It looks like I can add an activity through this Logitech program at a later date, right? What type of cord from dvd to soundbar? The next screen is asking for what input or channel the Polk Audio soundbar needs to be on - Source 1, Source 2, Source 3, or Source input is missing. I'm trying to trace all the cables to the devices and looking on the back of the TV, there is a yellow-capped cable plugged into "R Audio L|Video/AV in 2". The cable is a combination of a white, red and yellow cable that then is combined into a flat gray strip/cable. Is this referring to "Source 2" or should I be looking elsewhere?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Yes you can add anytime.

Do make sure you fully set up your logitech account though, that way you can always sign back in, even using the software from another computer, and it keeps a backup of your settings in case you need to restore it, without starting over again.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

I don't know exactly how it is all set up. Either everything goes to tv with a single cord from tv to soundbar, or everything splits with video to tv and audio to the soundbar.

They should be labed on the soundbar such as opt1, aux 2, etc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have set up an account but will make sure it is set up fully so can get access to all this down the road if needed. I really don't want to go through this again .... only if you were helping! Didn't think to look on the back of the soundbar - plugged into Source 1. Let me try to get through this set-up and go on to the next one. Thanks!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Okay as long as you can see the labels you should be able to trace them back to the source.

If you get stuck shoot me some pictures of the connections.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I'm setting up Listen to CDs and on the review page it has DVD and Polk Audio are ON, all Other devices are OFF, and Polk Audio is set to Source 1. I was not asked a question in set-up re: TV, but it looks like it is set as OFF for this activity, which is preferable. Should I go on and accept these settings as correct?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

It would typically know not to involve the tv unless you told it that it was part of the process, so go ahead and accept.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I am down to the last device set-up - the soundbar. I just did the power toggle, channel up, and number 1 tests and all fine. I'm on the Source Input Controls screen, where they list Source 1, Source 2, and Source 3 as Source Inputs. On the Samsung remote, there is a Source button. There are 3 questions to answer: 1) Remote button displays source inputs menu (choices include: Source 1, Source 2, etc., Power On, Power Off, Mute, Power Toggle, and a few others); 2) remote button cycles through source inputs (same choices as #1); and, 3) remote button confirms the source input (same choices as #1 & #2). I'm confused on this one; not sure how to answer the 3 questions.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

So the issue here is that the soundbar doesn't have distinct selections for source 1, source 2, etc. It relies on the source button and toggles between each.

You'll pick #2 here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went through these steps before re: Samsung remote but for a different device; that previous time made more sense than this one.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

With the tv remote it may have been more straightforward because it is arranged a bit differently

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah, that's true. I'm stumped because I only change the volume and use the mute button basically on the remote re: the amplifier.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Right, but it still needs to know which inputs are present and how to switch between them (so the soundbar can get signal from the tv, cable box, dvd, etc as needed)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is an option of "None" as an answer for the 3 questions. Stumped as to what choices to make.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, do you have to give an answer to 3 questions? Or you have to choose one of three options? If so, pick #2

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I need to answer all three questions. In the drop down menu for all three, in addition to all the choices I listed in my earlier response, there is the option of "None".
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Okay so do none for 1 and 3

for 2 you'll pick Source

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. For #2, I am assuming Source 1, which is what the amplifier is set to. Right?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Yes that sounds correct

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My session just timed out, but I did enter those responses. When I got back in, it is indicating 4 devices need to be set up on the Activities tab. Ahhhhh! Looks like I have to re-enter. Don't understand what happened. Before I start re-entering, I'm clicking on the 'Update Remote' button and see if all the stuff I entered is really there. I'll get back with you in a bit ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just went through the tests on the remote and everything but the amplifier tested OK - would not turn on when selected "Turn on amplifier". Will do some more checking ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One thing, on the Activities tab, there is an option to re-order activities. Once I click on it, I have to proceed, so not sure I want to try that right now.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Reorder is just rearranging which appears first (most commonly used, like watch tv, or netflix usually goes first, music cd probably last)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, no need to reorder. It looks like I have everything set up correctly, so went through steps to update the remote. I have tested the DVD, TV and cable box and all were turned on by the remote. For the amplifier, it did not turn on and got this message: 'You cannot turn this device on using a remote. Your Amplifier should either be powered on manually or use the original remote to power it on.' As I mentioned before, the original set-up had it so when I clicked the Power On button on the remote, the Amplifier automatically came on. What do I need to do now? I will have to wait to set up RF until this step is completed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Well it sounds like the sound bar may just be auto detecting signals and coming on by itself from standby. That is fine, or you can even leave it on all the time and as long as there is no source on/selected it won't cause any issues.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Right now, there are no lights on the soundbar. It does not seem to be autodetecting signals and coming on by itself. It has been ~ 5 minutes so far. In set-up, I have all the other devices set up as Activities for the amplifier. Do I need to run through set-up again? If I leave it on all the time, does that use up a lot of energy? Also, with the Amplifier not registering, how does that affect running the RF tests?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

It really won't use any more energy than in standby, if it isn't actively amplify anything.

Just press the power button on the amp itself once to turn it back on, it may just be "out of cycle" at the moment and getting it back on track will fix the rest.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I manually turned on the amplifier. I turned off the devices, but the amplifier was the only one that did not turn off. If the remote does not come on when I power up the devices, won't that affect me being able to control volume, set mute button from the remote? That's not great alternative. The message right now on the remote is to go on and make sure all devices are off so can do the RF test. We will see what happens ...
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Okay you may have to kill the amp again so they are all starting from the off cycle.

If still no change you may have to recheck the model you entered for the amp (or try it as another device type such as audio accessory instead of amp)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I ran the RF test after everything was turned off and got the same message re: amplifier. I think your idea of changing device type might be the ticket so will try that now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the drop-down menu for Amplifier, there are also these options: AV Receiver, Audio/Video Switch, and Radio Tuner.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

It really isn't any of these, do you see sound bar or surround system as an option anywhere?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No sound bar or surround system or home theater in any of the broad categories. Here are the broad categories to choose from: *****/Satellite Box, Video Recorder, DVD, Music Player, Game Console, Mini System, Computer, Home Automation, More Device Types (tape deck, mini disc player, DAT).
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Try looking in mini system please

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It includes: 1) DVD, CD, Radio; 2) CD, Radio, Cassette; and, 3) DVD, VCR, Radio. I followed the message on the remote that now ready to use remote. It turned on the TV, DVD and cable box. I left the sound bar on & volume controls and mute button work on the universal remote - that's good! When I click on 'Watch a DVD', Smart Hub does not come up so had to use Samsung remote to get Smart Hub and go to Netflix, Pandora, etc.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

None of those really fit, so I'd stick with the amplifier option.

You may have to manually build an activity and call it smart hub, and then "teach" the system what that smart hub command is (using the original samsung tv remote)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by 'using the original samsung tv remote'? As for the universal remote, I could add an activity called Smart Hub and have DVD, TV and Amplifier. Correct?
It is almost 9 pm EST and I have not had dinner yet. I need to wrap up. Right now, I'm having to use the universal and Samsung remotes. I have been trying to switch activities including going from universal to Samsung and it is not as smooth as I had before. And I've lost Smart Hub on my universal remote, which was the original concern that I had network interference. So, no network interference showing up now. My set-up probably needs some more tweaking, but will work on that over the next few days. If you could respond to my questions and I will check for them later. I think we can wrap up then. Thanks for all your help. I did learn quite a bit going through this process. Thanks too for your patience!
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry for missing you earlier, it was dinnertime here as well.

What I mean is that if there is any command you wish to use from the logitech that it does not already possess (such as the smart hub, for example, if that button doesn't do anything) then you can have the logitech "learn" that command from the tv remote, by pointing the tv remote at it while in learning mode.

I think you may have had that issue previously too, but they programmed it in specifically.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That must have been done by Geek Squad. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again, Nathan.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome, and I'll be here if you get stuck!