TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

I have a Sanyo 55 inch DP55360. I sent the main board in and

Customer Question
it checked OK. It runs...
I have a Sanyo 55 inch DP55360. I sent the main board in and it checked OK. It runs for about 30 seconds and then shuts off. I reset it with the power unpluged and hold in the power button for about 10 seconds but it shuts off again in a few seconds. What can I check now?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
I already spent $85 to find out my main board was OK. The TV will stay on if it does not have a signal. As soon as the sound comes on it turns off.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
I have the back off my TV. I did a visual with a Magnifying glass.
Didn't find anything.
My cell phone number is **********
9/15/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello if the set shuts down when you apply a signal it is a faulty Mainboard- the mainboard is the only component that can cause this. Where did you send it to and what tests did they do to determine it was okay?

They said they plugged it in for three days and it worked fine.
This is one of their replies.
Dear laivj,We apologize for the delay in the shipment of your part. The tech could not find anything wrong with the part itself. We have tested the part and it works perfectly. The part is on its way back to you.- nohoelectronics2014
Click the Respond button to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply
Respond
SANYO MAIN BOARD N8TE, N8TE, 1AA4B10N24700 (REPAIR SERVICE ONLY)
Item Id: 181825893419
End time: Sep-05-15 11:48:15 PDT
Seller:
nohoelectronics2014 (178)
100.0% Positive Feedback
Member since May-02-02 in United States
Location: CA, United States
Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was active.

What signals have you tried plugging into the TV so far? In other words- have you tried more than one source (cable box/SAT box, DVD player, etc.), as well as different HDMI cables?

We need to make sure there's not an issue with the source sending a DC spike down the cable.

If you've tried that, then there is CN2 on the power supply, which has the 5 volt feed that runs the Mainboard, and also a 24 vdc voltage for the screen. You will need to measure these voltages using a meter while the set is ON. Ground the black meter probe to the metal frame of the set (meter set to DC volts), then use the red probe to test these pins- which are labeled on the power supply. With the TV ON let me know if both the 5 and 24 vdc outputs are present.

i cant find the 5 and 25 dc things. where are they located?

Connector CN2 on the power board.

It's labeled on the power board- it's the largest connector on the board.

it checks 5 and 24. I found that if I dont use the sound on the TV it will stay on. I plugged it into my stereo and it stays on. Now what?

Then there are TWO possible causes:

1) The speakers in the TV- one of them or both are shorted/blown. This causes a dead short to the mainboard when audio is applied. Try subbing a different pair of speakers (simply tap an 8 ohm pair onto the existing wires and disconnect the factory speakers. If the set stays on- then you found your culprit and the TV speakers are bad.

2) The Mainboard. As the audio out on the main is derived from an amplifier IC driven from the 5 volts on the board. You know the 5 volts is present on the power board since you tested it, so the mainboard's audio output is shorted and you need to replace the mainboard.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Do you need any further assistance with this?
If not, could you please click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts? It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

It's not working yet. I have to find some 8 Om speakers to hook up to it. I've already paid you $38.
I tried using a different HDMI cable but it didn't help.

Hi, You did not pay "me" $38- you paid the site a deposit. I am not credited anything until you rate me. I told you what is causing the issue above- if it's "not working" then you need to isolate it by trying new speakers, OR disconnecting the speakers entirely in the set and see if it stays running. Once you've gotten enough info to narrow this down and fix it- then kindly rate my service as i am working of my own time here to help you.

Ok, I did disconnect the speakers but it shut off once. I connected it to my sterio. I have some 8 Om speakers at our cabin. I will bring them home this weekend.

Ok.

I took apart an old stereo Sanyo tv and used the speakers to check my 55". It seemed to work. I cant fit these speakers inside the tv though. What would you suggest?

I don't know what else I can tell you- the TV speakers are what caused the problem, and you will need to try to retro-fit some tiny speakers into the TV and use them. There's some places you could check like www.partsexpress.com and find some tiny full range speakers- use their site and check the dimensions to see if they'll fit. Other than that we found the culprit so if you would kindly rate the service I've provided so that I am compensated or my time spent working with you.

Rating does not close the question, you can still follow up at no additional cost. All it does is credit me a PORTION of what you paid the site as a deposit. As of now, the site has been paid, but I have been working of my own time unpaid.

Okay I definitely will but I need to run it a little longer to make sure. Do you think Radio Shack would have some?

Thank you. I cant remember the last time I've been to Radio Shack, so I wouldn't know. I order all of my speaker drivers from Parts Express (as they have a huge selection and much better prices than the "Shack") so that was why my suggestion was to check them out.

I put it back together and now its all screwed up. I have to take it all back apart now.

Okay.

I unplugged the tv speakers altogether using my stereo for sound. It shuts off just like it did in the beginning!

I'm going to opt out- perhaps another expert has some ideas? Good luck!

Now I found that even with the speakers not connected that the TV would shut off maybe in 10 min or 30 min when the volume is turned up. I turned the volume to zero and muted it. Now it stays on and doesn't turn off. I have it plugged into my stereo through the RCA out.

Then this points right back to the audio chip on your mainboard being faulty. No way around that, so the conclusion is that your mainboard IS indeed bad- more so in the audio chip. Solution is to have a different shop test it at length WITH speakers, or live with having it connected to your stereo. Now, I have substantial time with you on this trying to troubleshoot, so was wondering if you could please at this point click a positive rating.

Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?

Aric, Technician