Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Samsung plasma tv model hpp3761x/xaa has no audio, picture

Customer Question

samsung plasma tv model hpp3761x/xaa has no audio, picture is ok, startup melody ok
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, What sources have you tried on the TV with no audio? Is it simply a cable box? Have you also tried another source such as a DVD player? Or are you certain the problem is with the TV and are looking for repair components? Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i pluged tv in the outlet, and all i get is a picture, but no audio
i used apple tv with it - with the same results
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, are you looking to repair this yourself please? The Mainboard is what processes all of the audio, and if there's no sound regardless of source- then the mainboard needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the tv was in working condition.
it was connected to external speakers.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If so, then you're looking at replacing the part at the link below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-00518j-main-unit.htm

This is a $130 part- and is showing out of stock at all locations I've checked. However you can try searching using the part number listed at the link.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay that changes things- let's back up.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

After you removed the external speakers, did you go into the MENU, then select AUDIO and turn the internal speakers back on??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tv produces startup melody
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please scroll up and read all replies. I see the TV produces startup melody in your original post. Please review everything I've posted and then reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tv was given to me as a gift
i've tried to work through the menu, but i am not tech savy
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Go to MENU- scroll to AUDIO- click on it. Let me know what options you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mode : standart >
custom >
mts : Stereo >
auto volume : on >
srs tsxt : stereo >
internal mute : off >
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Please keep scrolling down. Are those the only options you have?

Also, when you plugged into the Apple TV, did you notice next to the HDMI plug on the TV, a jack labeled "Audio In"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
these are the only options
yes, it has audio jack
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

This is an older set- and it requires an audio connection as well when using HDMI- which your Apple TV likely does not have. That is why you have no sound. You would need to purchase a converter, or a modern TV in order to get sound when using HDMI I'm afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. thank you for your advise. i bought hdmi to dvi cable, and it didnt help.
why than tv doesnt produce any sound on its own?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

DVI is digital video input only- it has no audio at all. That is why there is no sound. Also when you select a static screen- the TV automatically mutes the signal- because there is nothing but static and it senses that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tv was perfectly fine working, before it was disconnected.
what cable do you recommend to make it work?
thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Yes working perfectly with external speakers correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Was it working with the Apple TV before?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The issue is not needing a cable- it is that the Apple TV box has no audio outputs that you can connect to the TV- your TV is older and uses DVI- not HDMI- that is the problem. You either need to purchase the older Apple TV box that uses red,blue,green,red and white connections- or you need a different TV.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was.
i also tried uverse, with the same negative results
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay then that doesn't make any sense. The DVI jack on the TV does not transmit ANY audio at all unless you have a separate audio feed. I will opt out and perhaps someone else can help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.thank you