TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Samsung plasma tv model hpp3761x/xaa has no audio, picture

Customer Question
is ok, startup melody ok...
samsung plasma tv model hpp3761x/xaa has no audio, picture is ok, startup melody ok
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
9/12/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, What sources have you tried on the TV with no audio? Is it simply a cable box? Have you also tried another source such as a DVD player? Or are you certain the problem is with the TV and are looking for repair components? Let me know.

i pluged tv in the outlet, and all i get is a picture, but no audio
i used apple tv with it - with the same results

Okay, are you looking to repair this yourself please? The Mainboard is what processes all of the audio, and if there's no sound regardless of source- then the mainboard needs to be replaced.

the tv was in working condition.
it was connected to external speakers.

If so, then you're looking at replacing the part at the link below:

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-bn94-00518j-main-unit.htm

This is a $130 part- and is showing out of stock at all locations I've checked. However you can try searching using the part number listed at the link.

Okay that changes things- let's back up.

After you removed the external speakers, did you go into the MENU, then select AUDIO and turn the internal speakers back on??

tv produces startup melody

Please scroll up and read all replies. I see the TV produces startup melody in your original post. Please review everything I've posted and then reply back.

tv was given to me as a gift
i've tried to work through the menu, but i am not tech savy

Go to MENU- scroll to AUDIO- click on it. Let me know what options you have.

ok. thank you

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click a POSITIVE RATING before you go- as it's how I am credited for my work. You can follow up at any time, at no additional cost.

mode : standart >
custom >
mts : Stereo >
auto volume : on >
srs tsxt : stereo >
internal mute : off >

Please keep scrolling down. Are those the only options you have?

Also, when you plugged into the Apple TV, did you notice next to the HDMI plug on the TV, a jack labeled "Audio In"?

these are the only options
yes, it has audio jack

This is an older set- and it requires an audio connection as well when using HDMI- which your Apple TV likely does not have. That is why you have no sound. You would need to purchase a converter, or a modern TV in order to get sound when using HDMI I'm afraid.

ok. thank you for your advise. i bought hdmi to dvi cable, and it didnt help.
why than tv doesnt produce any sound on its own?

DVI is digital video input only- it has no audio at all. That is why there is no sound. Also when you select a static screen- the TV automatically mutes the signal- because there is nothing but static and it senses that.

tv was perfectly fine working, before it was disconnected.
what cable do you recommend to make it work?
thank you

Yes working perfectly with external speakers correct?

Was it working with the Apple TV before?

The issue is not needing a cable- it is that the Apple TV box has no audio outputs that you can connect to the TV- your TV is older and uses DVI- not HDMI- that is the problem. You either need to purchase the older Apple TV box that uses red,blue,green,red and white connections- or you need a different TV.

it was.
i also tried uverse, with the same negative results

Okay then that doesn't make any sense. The DVI jack on the TV does not transmit ANY audio at all unless you have a separate audio feed. I will opt out and perhaps someone else can help.

ok.thank you
Aric, Technician