TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Sensor on tv does not work with Samsung remote or Dish

Customer Question
remote?...
Sensor on tv does not work with Samsung remote or Dish remote?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
9/7/2015
TV Technician: Aric, Technician replied 2 years ago
Aric, Technician

Hello, What is the full model number off of the back of the TV?

Also how long have you owned it for?

Do ANY functions on either remote work on the TV at all?

Model number UN50F5500AF
Bought at SAMs Club on 1-28-2014Just the volume and the ability to turn the TV on and off.

Okay, so backup a bit. I asked what functions on the remote DO work? You said in the opening statement that neither remote controls on and off or volume. I'm confused.

Just the volume and ability to turn the TV on and off do not work.

So what you're saying is the original remote will pull up the MENU, change the Input and perform all other functions on the TV except for on and off and volume?

I can control both the on/off and volume on the TV with the control on the Lowe right hand corner of the TV in the back but not with either remote control.

I totally understand that part- I am asking a specific question here. Does the original TV remote control OTHER functions besides the on off and volume- such as Source and MENU- yes or no please?

Okay in that case I have no ideas at all on this. I've never seen only two functions on the original remote not work before- only all the functions not working, which would be a fault in the TV's IR sensor. But since you're saying all other remote functions work, with the exception of on/off and volume- this does not make any sense from a tech standpoint. I will opt out and perhaps someone else has an idea.

I need to wait for a couple of hours before we continue...Dish is here making some upgrades...I will get back with you after they are finished. Thanks...and sorry about the delay....
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer

Hi there,

The contacts underneath the most commonly used buttons will sometimes wear out or accumulate grease and other debris that prevents them from making good contact and functioning normally.

This may be the case with your non-functioning buttons - you can try taking the remote control apart and cleaning underneath the buttons with electrical contact cleaner.

Let me know if that works...

Pete, Electronic Engineer