Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have a Pasonic tg-50px80U that the red power light comes

Customer Question

I have a Pasonic tg-50px80U that the red power light comes on but there is no screen or sound. If you hit menu or input nothing changes. My cable box is not working either, wondering if my cable took out my tv. Also if the TV is worth fixing?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first i would have a few questions so could you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kevin
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Hi Kevin ,a few questions coming up

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?
Any electrical storm or power blackout in your area prior to this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

From your description this sounds like a lightning strike nearby that took out your cable box on the way to the tv

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It quit while watching it. no there was not a storm last night. I have unplugged al night no change. My cable box seems to be bad as well.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then this could definitely be related and yes it is possible that your cable box took out the tv .

Are they connected with a HDMI cable ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. My cable box turns on it just won't cycle all the way through. My circuit was blown as well and would not reset until I unplugged the TV av cable nox
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Does that red light blink at the front now ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then there is a very good chance it is giving an error code at this point .

Look at it and see if it takes short pauses and if so then count the blinks between pauses

For example 8 blinks /pause/8 blinks and so on ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry the light does not blink it just stays on.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then in a way the no blink also gives an indication .

The main board processor is the one that monitors various circuits and gives out the rror codes but it cannot really monitor its own brain if you will so you would be talking about a main board problem .

I don`t know if you had in mind to look into repairing this yourself but if you`ll give me a few minutes , i will get you the details for a "do it yourself " or shop type of repair .

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I can will repair it myself, otherwise want to know if is worth fixing or if should just buy a new tv.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

In your model number TH-50PX80U , is there a A after the U ?

As in TH-50PX80UA

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

The main board itself cost some $160 , right now i need to make sure of the full model number

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then that board part number is *****

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Let me see what i can find

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

This does not look good , the parts suppliers that are reasonably priced are pretty much all " out of stock " and the cheapest I can find wants some $300 for it .

I could give you a link where you could sign up to be notified when back in stock for $160 but this does not look good and then to have a Panasonic ASC shop repair this for you then you may be looking at $350+ while you can get a new 50" plasma for around $500 now

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Wish i had better news and an easier solution for you today ,like some sort of reset but this is not the case i`m afraid .
Hope this help and I will be in standby if you have any questions.
Thank you and please take the time to rate my answer if that answers your question and you can still reach me here at anytime after this chat is rated if you have other questions.

Please note that from where i`m sitting there is just so much that i can do and if you are going to rate my answer below O.K service then please do not rate at all , just let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry the last 2 emails the link to the website is not working
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

the link to which website ?

This one ?

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Can you see my replies above now ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see the above now. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.