Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I am not sure what model TV I have but I am having trouble

Customer Question

I am not sure what model TV I have but I am having trouble connecting a Samsung Soundbar to the TV. there is no optical connection so I have connected the soundbar to the headphone jack on the side of the TV into the same connection on the soundbar.
When I go into the menu on the TV the external speaker tab cannot be highlighted.
It is a HD LCD TV
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model numbers of the TV and the soundbar. The model number can be found printed on a sticker/stencil at the rear of the TV. Please consider carefully checking the back.

Additionally, is the TV directly connected to an antenna or cable feed? ...or is there a cable box and/or satellite receiver used? What other devices are connected to the TV.

And please describe how these devices are connected to the TV using what kind of cable(s).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in my office and the TV is in my home, it will take me 5-10 minutes to take the TV off the wall mounting to inspect the back of it to get the model number of the TV, hopefully the Samsung sound bar is easier to find the model number as it is easier to access, will get back to you with the required information, the TV is connected to a DVD recorder and the antenna is actually run through the DVD player due to the antenna connector on the TV is broken and will not take a antenna jack
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

I understand.

Perhaps the documentation that came with the TV before would still be available.

The TV model number is ***** as the headphone jack may possibly be an input jack for the VGA connector (if featured).

Still, when able please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TV model number is ***** - Phillips
Soundbar is Samsung Model No HW-H450
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my model number information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't want to pay $25 for a phone call, just answer my question on how to get the soundbar to work or I will be asking for my money back! I also only intend to pay $39 for the satisfactory answer and do not intend to pay $39 a month which seems to have cropped up out of nowhere, that is not what was promised when I asked for help!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

And yes, the 3.5mm jack on the TV's left side panel serves as a headphone jack. But to my understanding, there is also a pair of red & white RCA jacks at the rear intended as L-AUDIO-OUT-R.

Either of the 2 above can be plugged into the Samsung's AUX IN 3.5mm jack.

Could you try the TV RCA jacks to the soundbar's AUX IN jack?

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me time to reference the manuals for these devices and compose my reply.

And to your kind understanding of site automated/system generated offers.

Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

An alternative / possibility but depending on the DVD player's feature is HDMI from the player to the Samsung, and HDMI from the Samsung to the Philips.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I do not have the red and white plugs going into the 3.5mm Aux in plug but I will check my spare connectors, at the moment I have a HDMI cord going into the Samsung from the LG player into HDMI No 1 (there are three HDMI ports at the back and one on the side of the Phillips TV, however I have plenty of spare HDMI cables so could run a cable from Samsung to Phillips TV, but will that work?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps that would be the simplest yet the best to implement; i.e. HDMI all the way. LG to Samsung's HDMI IN. Samsung's HDMI OUT to Philip's side panel HDMI SIDE port. It would give the best video quality and the Samsung would simply "sample & extract" the (digital) audio before passing the HDMI signal to the TV. Pressing the Samsung's front panel F button selects HDMI.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that, I did find a red and white RCA plug with 3.5mm jack but it was only 20 inches long so it didn't reach the soundbar from the tv, I will let you know how I go with the HDMI solution, it will take me about 20 minutes to connect it all up, I will be back to you to let you know if it was successful.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Yes please; an update when able.

Cheers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, unfortunately no success, I connected the HDMI cables as instructed but the soundbar is still silent. This has got me completely foxed, the TV speakers work but they are on full treble as the bass speaker has blown and it makes a terrible sound when the volume is turned up.
Louie, I am ready to give up, do you have any other ideas, what I can report on is when I go into the menu on the Phillips TV and into Audio selections, I cannot highlight the external speaker option, it is not coming up as something I can choose when I scroll down.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Let's try test the soundbar.

Connect a 3.5mm to RCA cable to the Samsung's AUX IN jack. With power supplied to the soundbar, turned On and volume raised, lightly touch only the tip of the center pin of either/both RCA plugs. The soundbar should produce a thump and/or a humming sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Louie, the soundbar works fine, I was using it on the Samsung TV to which it connects by wireless, I only moved the soundbar to the other TV because of the sound quality problem on the Phillips TV. I think it is the Phillips TV that is the problem, thank you for your help but we haven't solved the problem.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried directly connecting the LG (dependent on the model/features) player's red & white AUDIO OUT jacks to the AUX IN of the Samsung?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie, the cable is too short to do that, I thank you for your help and patience but I no longer wish to keep trying these alternatives, as we have not fixed the problem after several attempts I think I should not be charged for your service as your website states, how do I arrange for the $5 deposit I paid to be reimbursed to my credit card?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

For payments & billing concerns including refunds, please click HERE.