Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Had a recent thunderstorm and the cable went out, cable guy

Customer Question

Had a recent thunderstorm and the cable went out, cable guy had to replace the outside box (apparently very old) and everything was up and running again. The only thing I can't get restored is volume control on the TV instead of the audio receiver. The receiver is an Onkyo, this is my parent's TV and my dad, who knew how to fix this, died a couple years ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

To clarify, you want the remote to control the volume on the tv, rather than controlling the volume on the onkyo?
Or is the issue that the sound is coming from the tv speakers when you want it to come from the onkyo instead (or the other way around)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yed that's right, the remote will control the sound only if I switch from watch TV, we max the sound on the Onkyo and there is no mute function. I remember this happening before but can't remember the solution
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry but that still isn't quite clear.

In the "watch tv" mode, the remote is controlling the tv volume?
And you want to be able to have the onkyo volume controlled instead, from the watch tv mode shortcut?

I'm not sure what you meant by "we max the sound"

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, when in watch tv mode instead of the volume control changing the tv volume, it changes the Onkyo volume
I just meant that the max volume on the Onkyo isn't loud enough and I can't mute the sound, I want the volume button to control the tv volume
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Okay, that is a programming issue on the remote itself.

I don't see how a storm or even a new cable box would have changed that, unless the wiring was different for the new box.

Are you getting no sound at all from the tv currently?
How is the box connected (hdmi from box to tv, hdmi from box to onkyo, then onkyo to tv, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the new box is outside only, nothing was changed on the inside, it was like it reset
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the sound is fine, i just can't adjust it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't connect this because it's my parent's tv but I think it's cable box to Onkyo to TV, right? that makes sense
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's the same old cable box on the inside
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm mystified why this changed
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

That is the typical setup, yes.

Nothing outside should have made any difference with this, which is what is unusual here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
more like annoying lol
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Normally, you'd get no sound from the tv, you typically don't want to use the tv speakers at all (low power, poor quality) when you have the option to use the surround system.

If the onkyo volume is too low, you may just have an issue with it being on the wrong listening/surround mode, such as being on stereo only (try putting it on Movie or Dolby and see if that helps)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it's not that, it's ok, but I can't control the volume through the TV, you get that right?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You mean you can't control it from the remote.

When you press volume up/down on the remote, it is adjusting the onkyo, not the tv.

If you go press the volume buttons on the side of the tv itself, the tv volume would change accordingly, correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, dinner is on, my plate is getting cold, can you tell me how to change it or not? YES!!!! that's it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
simple I think
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sometimes the Harmony One is not user friendly
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

It has nothing to do with the onkyo or the box, it is a Logitech programming issue.

You have to connect the logitech to the computer and update it through the programming software.

Feel free to come back later, dinnertime here as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks bbl
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

no problem.