Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Samsung smart tv I have cable tv through tv but the audio is

Customer Question

samsung smart tv
I have cable tv through tv but the audio is crap cant hear turn the sound up starts to ring
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Are you using direct cable from the wall to the TV- or through a cable box?

If so, what's the Make and Model off the front of the box (for example: Explorer 4100, etc.)?

Also, what's the model number off of the back of the TV?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the latest foxtel box had it for 12 months, the sound now that i think about it was ok at first but now is crap cant hear it, turn it up too loud sound is drummy...........
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, are you connected to the TV with an HDMI cable? If so, then please try a reboot and let me know if this helps anything. If it doesn't then I will need the model number off of the back of the TV to find you some settings.

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box from power.

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Plug the cable box back into power, and once it's rebooted, turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This computer is at my work place, to attempt your advise i will need to go home and tell u the results on the morrow, but i got a replacement box about 2 months ago thinking the problem was the box....but in saying that i will do as u advised, fingers crossed
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i put the DVD player on & the sound is ok but I'm thinking that might b the surround sound speakers i have hooked up to the player but i still detect a slight drummy sound even though it is much clearer. To check the make &model of the TV I got to pull it off the wall not easy
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Well, you never said anything about surround speakers before, so would be good to know what equipment the TV has connected altogether? So, don't pull the TV off the wall- but instead reply back with the Make and Model of the rest of the equipment. Also did you reboot the cable box as asked? Do you even use the TV speakers are all in this setup- or just the surround speakers?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea surround sound speakers connected to to the DVD player not the TV. So connected to TV is the Foxtel box on source HDMI14 the DVD player is on source HDMI13 and local free to air stations aerial is hooked into the foxtel box. Haven't tried the local channels only yet. And yes rebooted the box several times
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

First unplug the TV, then plug it back in. Go into the TV's MENU under Sound and locate the RESET option and press OK. If this doesn't help matters, then please reply back with how long you've owned the TV for and we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I'm on days off back Wednesday..........I'm on face book Renata Renata should u wish to contact before then
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I can't contact you outside of this page per the site rules I'm afraid, but let me know what happens as I am an independent tech- not a site employee, so not credited anything for working with you until you rate positively.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No worries bud
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to reset sound on TV the remote does not work now tried to manually reset cannot do, trying to get a new remote none in Darwin
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

The TV remote doesn't work at all- even with new batteries?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have a new remote made the change to the sound it is slightly better but not 100%
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that's all we can do with the TV controls, it sounds like you would want to have the cable company swap out that box- since they're known for having glitches in the processor that can skew the sound.

If you need further assistance let me know. Please do not forget to click the 5 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. It is my livelihood and you can follow up at any time if needed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are saying I need to change the box again? That will be a third box?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

I never saw posted that this was the third box. Are you saying the sound was bad with all three boxes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I said if you want me to change the box again, that will be the third box...........don't know if foxtel will do another?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

What I need to know is this: Was the sound only bad with this box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first box was okay then went bad after 10 months, got a new box but sound was still crap. With new remote made some changes but now the the thing is stuck cannot change anything
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, it sounds like the TV's mainboard may actually be faulty. Unplug the TV then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 15 seconds and release. Wait a full minute then plug the TV back in and turn it on. Let me know if you still cannot operate the TV- since if not, this points to a hardware issue- most likely the same one that is causing the poor audio.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I just wanted to follow up and see if you received the information you were looking for?