Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My tv has lost its picture. The sound is working but it's a

Customer Question

Hi. My tv has lost its picture. The sound is working but it's a blank screen, however you can see the colour change when you switch it on. Tried to reset but no menu comes up. Help??!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

What is the full model number of the tv, please?
Can you see the samsung on screen setup menu at all? (not cable/satellite, etc)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. No can't see anything. Tried all the menu buttons and no picture, but can hear it 'clicking' (ie the sound when you select menu items) .where do i find the model number?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got it UA40F5500AMXXY
VERSION HS01
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If it's easier to call me my number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

If you hold a flashlight up to the tv, in a dim/dark room, are you able to make out the menu or any other image that way?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

I'm happy do an optional call if you prefer, but it is an additional cost through the site.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let's see how we go.
Can't see any picture, it's just bluer than completely black but you only notice it when switching it on and off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not 100% sure my 2 year old didn't stuff it up, it was fine last night and this morning she was walking around with the remotes but the tv wasn't on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

So the screen is still lit up and glowing, just with a blue background?

Or is it completely dead black, as if it were powered off?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's not completely dead. It's 'on' and switches on and off, a dvd will play and I can hear the sound but there is no picture, screen not lit up, just mildly purple. Same colour it goes if you switch between sources before it coms on line
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

But you cannot bring up the samsung on screen settings menu, or even the input (hdmi1, hdmi2, etc) menu either, correct?

Were you able to check with a flashlight/torch?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Torch did nothing, let me change hdmi inputs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't help. Just closed all the blinds and dvd playing, it went to a black screen on the dvd (between scenes) and it was a noticable colour difference between that and the purplish
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It would make sense if it was the picture turned completely down, but I can't get any menu up to work out how to adjust it
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board and/or tcon board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

The purpose of testing a torch was to see if the backlight had failed.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct. If still under the samsung 1 year warranty, they'd service it for you.

If more than 1 year old, you'd be on your own for repairs.

If you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, etc. A new main board is about a $125 part.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size however, replacement will often make more sense, as you can get a brand new tv with a fresh warranty for about the same price as repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you. Let me do all that then I'll get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There isn't a power button on the tv, do you know where it would be?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

No problem, take your time

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you know where the power button is? The last one had one but this one doesn't seem to...or it's not very obvious
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Look on the back side, bottom right corner. Should be just a single button there

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found it. Thanks, ***** ***** back to you
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome, and good luck!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That didn't work. Same story, it's on and working except no picture. Just the same purpulish screen. Are you able to recommend somewhere we can take it to get a quote on repairs? It's only about a year and a half old.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Sure, I can help to find a repair shop, if you'd like. As I mentioned though, the cost of repairs will typically be equivalent to the price of a new set, even if it is only a year and a half old.

There just gets to be a point of diminishing return on repairing the smaller sets. As a general rule, if the tv is under 50" it isn't worth fixing.

If you can let me know your postal code though, I'll send you some repair options.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 years ago.

Just checking in, did you need further help with this to locate repair options or replacement recommendations?