Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My screen went black. No sound, no picture but it does turn

Customer Question

My screen went black. No sound, no picture but it does turn on. Not a cable problem. Any suggestions?
Rene
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the full model number of your tv, please?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Are you still getting sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model TP61H95
No sound
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Are there any signs of life from it at all? A solid/flashing power light, any clicking sounds, any brightness/glowing from the screen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it turns on. I can hear it and I see the red indicator light turn on. No sign of life anywhere on the screen, just black as if it were off.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Okay thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a fault in the high voltage circuitry that drives the picture tubes, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 1999 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for a CRT type television, at 16 years old this set is well past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point). Unfortunately there are no parts available for these sets, all support was discontinued over 11 years ago.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor, assuming some used parts and replacement components could be found.

Realistically, it's time for a new tv. You can get a brand new flatscreen LED tv with updated features, superior picture quality, and a fresh warranty, for the same price as repairs (though not quite the same size - you can get a 50" set for this price, and a 60" in the $800 range)

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can try to help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,