TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

TC-P50U50 picture occasionally goes out to a black screen,

Customer Question
regardless of input selection/device selected...
TC-P50U50 picture occasionally goes out to a black screen, regardless of input selection/device selected. Sometimes flicker for a second and back on, sometimes goes out for longer. Doesn't seem to follow a particular pattern...pretty inconsistent. Have tried multiple cables, settings etc...nothing resolving issue so far. Sound always is one, issue is just with picture.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
8/19/2015
TV Technician: Anthony_Infotech, Technician replied 2 years ago
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Sorry you're having trouble here during the time the pic is black if you press the menu button of the sets own remote control does the menu come up please?
Anthony
No....no matter what is done no images of any kind will show when the screen goes black. Sound stays on only.

I would be looking at the ribbon connectors between all boards in the set particularly the scan boards what it amounts to is CAREFULLY removing the connectors from the boards and re-inserting then trying the set again, can you do this yourself?

Anthony

I have already removed the back cover and have only slightly wiggled & moved the cables during the times it has gone black, to see if it would have any effect, and there was none. However, I will disconnect and reconnect them one by one, and see if it has any effect. I'm not the most technical guy in the world, but I have had consistent success in soldering, repairing, and troubleshooting devices....well, until now lol. From all the symptoms I've seen, it does seem to be something minor, possibly a random loose connection that maybe was effected by heat....I'll give it a shot now and contact back asap. Thanks.
OK let me know
Anthony
I disconnected and reconnected every ribbon cable on the set....still seeing the same issue. The picture will black out with zero consistency while the sound remains consistent. Maybe there is a defect in one of the ribbon cables? Could I cause any harm by disconnecting the ribbon cables while the unit is on and active to try and possibly isolate it down to one of the cables?I tried again pressing the ribbon cables and gently wiggling them when the picture would go out to see if I could induce or reduce the time of the screen going black, but no such luck.
No do not do anything whilst the set is ON you will break the set permanent
OK using the wooden or plastic HANDLE of a screwdriver that is fairly heavy tap each board in turn to see if you can induce the fault
Let me know
Anthony
Ok. I tried and I couldn't consistently make anything happen...it did go out when I was doing it, but I would wait for a solid image, try again, and it wouldn't have the same effect. Thinking it's a bad ground from a loose screw on one of the boards? I can turn it off and tighten them if you think it might help...
I don't really think so but do it anyhow, you may need to replace the Y scan board as its this board that when bad causes a black screen you may have a bad component on there, let me know if you think you can replace it
Anthony
No way to tell if a component is bad/replace an individual component? Also, is the y-scan board the same as this?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-TC-P50U50-Y-MAIN-BOARD-TNPA5621-TNPA5621AB-TXNSC1SDUU-/321801162539?hash=item4aecd80f2b

Yes but only use ebay as a last resort and you must order by part-number only found on the board itself, try www.shopjimmy.com first.

No no way of individual component repair with any flat panel tv , 90% is board replacement, they do not lend themselves to individual component replacement, the boards are generally cheap

Let me know if you need more info

A positive rating is appreciated you will see a rating bar with this post thanks again

Regards

Anthony

How sure are you that this will resolve the issue? Shopjimmy does not have the part in stock, and I'd hate to waste any $ on something that is not a sure bet. Also, I noticed on another post from justanswer that a component was replaced or suggested at least on this same unit. Not trying to criticize...just asking questions. You have far more experience than I. Also, not sure if it matters, but I looked over all the boards and only found one component that really visually seemed suspect...I've attached a picture for your consideration. Thanks
Nothing is ever sure in electronics with intermittent issues like this if the Y scan stops you have a black screen with no visible light on the display.
I cant see anything wrong there on that board if there was it would be a permanent issue not intermittent like this
Anthony
Ok, thanks for the info. However, there is visible light on the display when it goes black. It's very faint, but it's there...almost like a flicker

I am sorry in this case I will opt out here

Ok thanks
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician