Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

This did not work

Customer Question

This did not work for me
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** be happy to assist you.
Please allow me to ask you a few questions to diagnose the problem.
- Can you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
- Have you tried to plug cable box HDMI cord into different HDMI input of TV as a test to see if sound comes?
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried different hdmi inputs. The model number is, I believe, LC-C5255U
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, is it possible to try the cable box on different TV?

This way we will confirm the cable box.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have another TV. This equipment worked before using rca out. I purchased a new sound bar surround system and that's when it stopped working for cable only. I tried Eva out last night but then got no audio at all from anything
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

Can you provide me complete info about the system setup there like what is connected to TV and how the sound bar hooked to TV for sound?

Did you turn Off TV internal speakers?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Comcast cable box, new, connected to TV via hdmi. Digital audio output from TV to vizio sound bar. Using Amazon fire TV box and Panasonic DVD player, also connected via hdmi. Internal speakers are off. If I turn them on, the cable audio works through the tv speakers. If I connect the digital audio cable directly from the cable box to the sound bar the audio also works. Everything works except digital audio routed from the cable box through the tv to the sound bar
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

This is odd, only cable box sound signal doesn't come out at digital optical port. Can you check cable box audio settings to change audio out format to PCM if it is set on dolby digital format?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only audio options available through cable seem to be stereo or surround. I switched it to surround with no change. I don't see any settings for Pcm or Dolby
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, how about if connect regular audio cable in Audio Out RCA jacks at back of TV and plug it in sound bar, do you still not get cable sound through this analog connection?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get no audio from anything through rca
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, can you give me Vizio sound bar model number hooked to TV?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sb4051-co
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
OK, how about if plug cable box HDMI cord into HDMI input of sound bar and HDMI out of sound bar into HDMI input of TV to get cable sound and watch it on TV?
Let the rest of connections in same way, just need to switch the input source in sound bar when watch to cable or rest of video devices?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good idea. Now no audio or video for cable.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Did you select HDMI input source in sound bar?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cycled through all input sources several times and restarted sound bar
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, lets reset the sound bar to see if it helps.

Press and hold Bluetooth and Volume Down button on sound bar for more than 5 seconds, all LEDs on sound bar will flash 3 times for successful reset.

Please reply back if it gives cable picture on TV and sound from sound bar?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I accidentally hit the call me button but you don't need to call
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

No problem, that hit didn't come through yet so I haven't got any phone call request.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reset sound bar, turned back on, no change
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, thank you for all your help. The Visio tech support couldn't help me either. I am going with RCA instead of digital audio out, and now that seems to be working for everything. Which is weird, because it didn't work before. Since my problem wasn't resolved, am I still going to be charged for this call?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

OK, sound bar works for rest of video devices through optical cable but not for cable box.

It doesn't work if cable box plugged in sound bar HDMI input which indicates cable box isn't matching with sound bar so at this point I would ask cable service provider to swap the cable box just in case to see if it works now?

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

It seems our messages got crossed, did you get above reply?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eva direct from cable to sound bar works, Hdmi does not, and digital audio does not. I guess I can swap the cable box, try that out
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Means a trip to comcast though
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

I wish there was a quick/easy fix for this issue, swapping the cable box comes into mind as this is the device causing the problem because rest of things are working fine with each other.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
I wanted to briefly follow up with you and see how the info worked, and see if that accomplished what you were looking to do!
Please reply back here if there is additional questions.
Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
As it turns out, there is nothing broken, it just works this way, according to the comcast technician. I will need to live with it.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 years ago.

ah OK, please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.

A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on smiley face/star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work.
Thanks and good luck!

Shahid.