Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

I have an olevia 227 - it has a blank screen & says "no

Customer Question

i have an olevia 227 - it has a blank screen & says "no signal" -- my cable company can't help me since i'm not using nheir box.
alice moerk
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
Hello, No Signal can be caused by several things- either the TV's source is set to the incorrect option, or you've somehow lost the signal coming in from the cable. What remote do you use to change channels- the original Olevia remote?
If so, then can you find the SOURCE button and go through all of the options please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry for delay -- tv in back room
cable is OK w tv in living room which has a cable box. this one has no box but never any troubles before
not original remote -- orig didn't work, so sent substitute that's been fine. it's an Olevia RC-LAN
source runs thru VGA // VGA Composite // tuner // composite // S-video // component // HDMI
might be easier if you called & i don't have to run back & forth --(###) ###-####
alice m
Expert:  Aric replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but something came up and I need to step out. I have opened the question up for other experts to view and assist you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, i can call you free -- unless you're out of the country.alice
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
Hello , my name is Jack
Perhaps I can help you with this problem but first note this please;
Website charges if you ask for phone call = $18 ADDITIONAL ( not total ) .
Sorry but this is how it works , we are not allowed to have direct contact with you outside the website .
In any case right now it may be easier this way as I may have some documents/pictures to upload if you can answer a few questions then you may not need that phone call after all .
Let me know how you wish to proceed either ways ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, i'll run back & forth.alice
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then and you may not have to do much running back and forth .

Did anything happen like a storm or did you make a change prior to losing all those channels ?

Did they quit while watching the tv or just were not there today ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no problems. it was on, i was watching in bed, woke up & nothing but blank gray screen -- from about 11PM on. living room tv OK. i checked the cable line & it seems secure & a "no signal."
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then if you are connected directly to cable , no box then when you press that SOURCE button , you need to set the tv to TUNER ,that is where you will get the tv channels .

Once you are there , try pressing the channel up/down (+/-) on the remote and if that doesn`t do anything then try to enter a channel number directly with the remote , for example channel 12 ,press the digits 1 and 2 or try a known channel number .

Give it a try and let me know the results of that and then we`ll take it from there ?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
channel number comes on but still the same: no signal
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

O.k then either the TV's own tuner went defective and that does happen or that cable although connected correctly may be dead , no signal in it , this could happen though a defective connector and very often where the cable system is split (cable splitters) in the house , if you don`t know where that splitter is then that would be the cable company that would need to check that .

Right now a way to find out who is the culprit would be to try another tv on this location or perhaps even bring in a cable box (if the other TV's have one ) and give it a try , that would also tell you if there I a signal on that cable.

Right now I`m not sure what you tried but you could also try this;

Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.

Again though , the quickest and most efficient way of testing that would be to try another tv there .

Either ways you`ll know if you need the cable company to repair the wiring or a new tv with a working tuner or may be even an external tuner or cable box connected to this one.

If that answers your questions for now please do not forget to rate or you can use the reply button before or after rating if you have other questions , thank you .

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

By the way , here is the manual for this tv and on page 43 is the procedure to do an auto channel search although I doubt very much it will change anything , click the link here ;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/na2eml7z3bfro6t/232V_English_User_Manual.pdf?dl=0

Give it a minute to open and you can then download it to your pc

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no dice -- called cable co again, they're sending someone out to check & put in a box.thanks, anyway.alice
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Well , at least now you know how to operate with this !

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what is a drop box?a
Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.

Did you see your manual on it ?

Its free online app/ folder where you can upload and share documents like picture,files etc.

Expert:  Jack replied 2 years ago.
I`m going to send you a phone call offer if you still need help with this or have a few questions.