TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

My Visio XVT423SV won't turn on..

Customer Question
My Visio XVT423SV won't turn on..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/1/2015
TV Technician: Nathan, Installer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Installer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you see any signs of life from the tv at all? Solid/flashing power light, clicking sounds, etc?

No...we had the same pro me a few days ago. Eventually it turned on..Yesterday we changed the input and it wouldn't change back. I thought unplugging it this afternoon might help...now it won't turn back on. I unplugged it again. It's been about an hour...

Okay so no lights, clicks, etc at this point.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2010 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation
1) Unplug the power cord from the tv

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which would require dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics with a digital multimeter to test voltages inside, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing capacitors (a common failure point).

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age, replacement will make more sense though - you can get a brand new LED tv with updated features and a fresh warranty in the same $300 range as you'd pay for repairs.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

I've looked for a power button on the tv and can't find it. Where is it?

On your model there is a multipurpose "jag wheel", located at the lower left edge/corner (on the side) of the tv. Pressing that once powers on, holding it 3 seconds (under normal operation) turns it off, and rotating it changes inputs, etc.

That is the button you can also press and hold as part of the reset process.

Found the jag wheel. Held it for a minute. Plugged the tv back in. Now the vizio sign flashing amber and white. Stopped on amber. Remote wouldn't turn it on. The jag button did..

So it did turn on, but still no content (picture/sound)?
can you get the menu or anything with a rotation of the wheel?

Wheel worked...changed input. Satellite receiver is running a self check.

Great, glad to hear that.

Is it responding to the remote again now?

Sorry....satellite receiver is taking its time...

No problem. That will get your channels back, I was more worried about the tv though - will it now respond to power, volume, input, menu, etc?

If not, or if this problem keeps happening, that would bring us back to a hardware issue.

Not responding to the remote...no volume, power, input, menu, etc..

But the jag wheel is still working at least?

If so, we can test the remote to isolate if it is a tv or remote problem. You can also test if your satellite remote will control the tv which would help too.

Jag wheel works...satellite remote works for volume, not power..

What about the vizio remote?

Nothing...
Tried the vizio remote from another tv....nothing...

Not even volume, even though the sat remote does volume?
Not all vizio remotes are interchangeable. Do you not have the original one for this tv?

I have the original remote...neither Vizio remote does anything.. The satellite remote only works on volume, not power...

Thanks for confirming. It is just odd that the sat remote would do volume when the viz remotes won't. In any event, if nothing controls power even, that points back to a hardware issue in the tv, which could be a bad remote sensor (not likely, if volume is working intermittently) or back to the main board failure I mentioned earlier.

Hi, Just checking in to see how the tv is behaving at this point?
Did you need further help with finding a new remote, repair shop, parts, etc?

Nathan, Installer