Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Sharp 857u, about 2-3 yrs, black screen, appears to have

Customer Question

sharp 857u, about 2-3 yrs young, black screen, appears to have power but doesn't respond. ^ light blinking. 2 short, followed by 5 fast.
lee
Category: TV
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

HI, my name is ***** ***** sequence did you use to try and force power supply on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not so much of a sequence. I simply tried the power button instead of the remote. I have another observation. it seems to "power on" either way. that is, the ^ icon turns a pale white indicating on in 2D mode. then, after a couple of seconds the ^ icon turns bright white and repeats what appears an error code. 2 short blinks, followed by 5 fast blinks. "25?" "115?" dunno. once that happens, it dead.
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

Okay the 2x5 error code is failure of the 12 volts to the LCD panel (screen) this issue is very common in this TV. Most of the time it is failure of the panel. Are you comfortable taking the TV back off the TV to trouble shoot?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm somewhat comfortable. it ain't happing now however. TV's mounted to the wall and there's nobody here to help dismount it. gonna have to get back to you on that one.
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

Okay we can try a force on if you like, can you tell me the sequence from top to bottom of the buttons on the side of the TV,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
power, menu, input, channel up, channel down, volume up, volume down
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

Okay, unplug the TV from the wall > press and hold the channel down and volume up buttons while plugging the unit back in, it may take 2 people if the outlet is not close, hold the button for at least 5 to 10 seconds to after you plug it in to see if the unit turns on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hang on ...
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, I don't get the blinking 2x5 anymore. but, I also don't get anything else. no pic, can't bring up menus, can't change volume, etc ...
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

you couldn't do any of that before either right?

Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
btw it looks like tv is powered on ... pale white ^ icon is visible, no blinking ...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
correct ... couldn't do any of that before either
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

Okay, we just forced the power supply to run but the back lights in the panel did not light, we would need do another test with the back off to determine if the LCD panel is the problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, gonna have to get back to ya when I get help ... so far, thanks. at least I got to see something different. that's progress.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
btw, won't be tonight. probably won't be very soon ...
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

Alright we may go back and forth a bit as I am mostly on line on Sundays not so much during the week but I do check in every day.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks, ***** ***** out
Expert:  Steven replied 2 years ago.

okay