Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

My tv shuts itself off

Customer Question

My tv shuts itself off
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is Anthony
Welcome
Thanks for the Question
Does the set drop to standby please red light lit?or maybe blinking?
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Turn it on, green light comes on for a couple of seconds, then turns off. No picture appears.
So it goes out completely, OK thanks for the info, these sets suffer badly with capacitors that go bad on the power-board, they leak/balloon up/have raised domed tops so what is needed to be done first is an initial inspection of those capacitors visually, ultimately it will lead to replacement of those capacitors OR as an alternative( with no soldering) a replacement of the power-board (subject to the visual check), do you think you can do this work yourself?I will provide all the necessary info for that Let me know pleaseA positive rating is appreciated, question remains open thank you RegardsAnthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where do I look to do visual inspection?
YesThe back of the set needs to come off, trace the power-cord to the powerboard and on there you will see devices that look like this graphic below http://snag.gy/OJw8p.jpg Click the above Let me know what you find this is an on-going procedure Anthony
Your looking for the above they will show signs physically that they are failing like leaking/ballooning up/raised domed tops
If any are found that look bad let me know and we move on from there
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they look like they are OK, no bloating or leaking
If the power-light is going out it would appear as though the power is not working correctly, if you are sure about the capacitors they all look good no raised tops /leaking or ballooning then the next step is to take a voltage reading can you use a meter?
Anthony
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'd have to borrow one. How would I check it once I have one?
You set the meter to low volts dc around 20 will be OK
Then look on the power-supply board for the legend stamp of the voltages coming out from the output plugs to the main-board there will be a 5volts dc standby supply voltage its this voltage you need to measure to see if that voltage exists on the plug or not
Let me know if you get stuck
Anthony
If you do not see this voltage stamped on the board please come back here, this will tell me a lot about if its the power or another board thank you
Anthony
How is this working out with you please?
Anthony