Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I am trying to hook up a chromecast to a Panasonic Viera TBMU381 First the word

Customer Question

Hello, I am trying to hook up a chromecast to a Panasonic Viera TBMU381
First the word chromecast pops up but then but then all i get is a black screen
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble. The issue here is the chromecast itself. It is defaulting to a 1080p output signal. Your older tv can only handle a 720p resolution, and thus gives a black screen.The initial startup logo is at 480p and will show on any tv. You can try another hdmi port in hopes that the chromecast will recognize the tvs lower resolution capability to properly handshake and output a 720p signal. However, these older model tvs have some know hdmi hardware handshake limitations, and simply don't work at all with many devices. Chromecast incompatibility with these sets is very common. You can try the remaining steps still of connecting to the chromecast network from your pc, then using the chromecast plugin from the chrome browser on your computer, complete the configuration. At that point, you can use the app to tell it specifically to display 720p content.If that still doesn't work, it is coming back to a panasonic hdmi incompatibility. At that point your best bet is to return the chromecast and go with an analog compliant streaming device, such as a roku2 that can output composite video that your panasonic can handle properly: http://amzn.to/1SeBUiv Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan