Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

You have helped me before. Working on 73732. Doesn't

Customer Question

Hi, you have helped me before. Working on 73732. Doesn't pwr up just goes to red status light. How do I get the error codes?
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello , my name is***** can help you with this problem but first note this please;Website charges if you ask for phone call = $18 ADDITIONAL ( not total ).That being said , could you please reply to me so i know you are there and we can proceed ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm here
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
o.k thenPressing the front panel “INPUT /DEVICE” and “MENU” buttons at the same time, and holding for 5 seconds,activates the Error Code Mode.Example: If the Error Code is “23”, the LED will flash two times, pause, and then flash three times.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, hold on. let me see what the code is. I've worked on these before. I know a little about what I'm doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
61
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
61 ???Let me get the manual but it must be 16
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will look again but it is definitaly a 6 and a 1. Btw, I have a complete parts TV. Every part but the DMD board.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does the sequence of 6 first and pauses and then flashes once. Than starts over again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bulb was just replaced a week ago and then replaced it again this morning with no change in problem.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry this took a while , you are correct about the code , was just thinking about older models that did not have that cod O.k then ,click the link below and you will see what that code means ;https://www.dropbox.com/s/lhpqtqu4m24pff5/2015-07-25_1615.png?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So a bad ballast? I should have the one from the other TV. What does it look like?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Actually what it means is the main board is not sending a "lamp enable" signal to the ballast and/or dmd board so the main board is the one you want to try first .The ballast is the small board that connects directly to the lamp socket . Let me upload the manual here .
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link below and give it a minute to open then you can download it to your pc ;https://www.dropbox.com/s/b05in280ndpo7k4/mitsubishi_WD-73732_ch_v33y_v33plus_sm%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main board? As in the DMD board? Please don't tell me that. Only part I don't have.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my reply above ?I said the main that sends a lamp enable signal to the dmd board
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Look on page 10 of the manual ,it shows PWB signal connected to dmd
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Pages 9 and 10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, good. Working on it. Be right back.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Take your time I have to step out for a bit anywayWill check on you in 1/2 hour or so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the entire assembly. I'm getting exact same problem and still code 61.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then those codes are fairly accurate usually but they are not the gospel if you will , just a place where to start looking and that code says start with the main board so now next would be the ballast module indeed and then the dmd board so I can only say good luck with the ballast !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ballast doesn't look so easy to replace but I do have one.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Just take your time and yes sometimes it is plenty of fun repairing tv`s !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to take the whole engine out? Book is saying to remove adjusting screws. Can I do this without removing engine? I doubt it but I want to ask first. Any tricks?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
afraid not , you got to pull the whole thing out if you want to give a try to the ballast
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Arggg. Is there any other possibilities to try before I do all that?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
sorry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This could still be the DMD board too right? Damn!!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wish me luck....I'm going in.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Yes thats correct and that DMD board is common , probably why it is missing from your other tvgood luck then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not my lucky day. Changed out the ballast and the interface board. Still same problem.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
O.k then not really anything left but that dmd board !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And how much is that new?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but I`m busy on another post , will get back to you on that
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
By the way , did you try the power board ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, changed out the whole assembly.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Sorry this takes a while , in the mean time I will give you the part number if you want to search for it ,part # *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found one on Ebay for $97 but it isn't new.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
I think you`d be hard pressed to find a new one , at best refurbished by Mitsubishi and going for around $350 .Just make sure it has some sort of warranty and that you can return it if needed
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Just looked and you`re lucky if you found one on ebay , all the suppliers are out except for one that has it for $352
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the DMD board today and still code 61. So now almost EVERYTHING has been replaced. Now what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I replaced the light engine assembly with the one I had from the other TV because the part that I THOUGHT was bad on that assembly was the DMD board. So I used the assembly from the parts TV but replaced the DMD and chip. It fixed the code 61 problem but now I have the same problem that the parts TV had. So I guess it wasn't the DMD board after all. The problem now is horizontal lines going across the TV. They are red, blue or green depending on what the background is at the time. For example, if I have the black test screen up the are red. Keep in mind that the following parts from the parts TV are now in the TV...1. Entire PWB assembly, interface board, engine pwr and ballast.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 year ago.
Hello again
Sorry but now this is outside what can be done in this context , I would need to be there with tools and meters myself.
I will opt out now and perhaps another tech. in here will be able to help you with that .
You don`t have to do anything , your question will be reposted for other techs. to see and jump in.
PS. Do not reply to this or it will be sent back to me instead of reposted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not got a response yet and it has been over 24 hours. I would like to talk to TV Tech 1. I worked with him a couple times before and actually worked with him with the same problem I'm getting now when we thought it was the DMD board and I decided not to spend the money to replace it. Well, basically I have now replaced the DMD board and the DLP chip and am still getting the horizontal lines.