TV

Facing TV Problems? Ask a TV Technician.

TV

Hey Guys,I have a Magnavox 39me413v/f7 Television. We had

Customer Question
Hey Guys, I have a Magnavox...
Hey Guys,
I have a Magnavox 39me413v/f7 Television. We had a power outage overnight and the next morning I had several TV's and 1 computer that were dead. None of the Items would power up. 1 TV it was the power board and the computer needed a new power supply. Both are working fine now. I ordered the exact number power supply for the Magnavox and I installed it. When I put the power cable into the wall socket I heard a loud pop. I had no power still. I was sent a new power board and when installed I still had no standby light or any power to the TV at all and there was no loud pop. Checking the power boards they are still good. So I figured it must be the video or main board that had made the loud pop. Inspecting the board on the backside seemed to have some burnt spots. I then replaced the mainboard (video) with the exact replacement board and now I get the power light, but when I turn it on I get no picture or sound, just a bright lighted screen. When it first comes on there are a lot of verticle lines on the screen that quickly disappear and all I have is a bight screen. The boards on the screen are non replaceable I believe. Got any help or is there something else I can look at? Thanks for any help you can give me......Steve (sbyrd46)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: TV
7/26/2015
TV Technician: Pete, Electronic Engineer replied 2 years ago
Pete, Electronic Engineer
Hi Steve,
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
Check if you can see a faint glow from the display screen in a dark room.
Also check if you can get the on-screen menu.
If you cannot get the above, then the TV is not powering on fully, so the power supply board is suspect - something on the main board may have shorted it out and blown the new power supply board.
You can test the voltage outputs indicated on the power supply board to help confirm that it is no longer functioning correctly.
When i turn the TV on, The screen Lights up and that is all it does. No sound, no picture, no menu, just a bright screen. The LED light are coming on. On this model the screen has what I think would be the T-conn board integrated into the screen. There are 2 boards connected directly to each other with a cable and then there are eight ribbon cables going to the screen which are integrated to the screen. The main board has a cable from it going to one of these boards. I'm not sure how to check the voltage from the power board. Have the tool to check the DC current just wouldn't know what to check.
Hi Steve,
It is very unlikely to be the T-Con board as you would still have sound if it was faulty.
Previously you said "Checking the power boards they are still good" - what checks did you carry out at that time?
You should see the DC voltage outputs indicated alongside the connectors on the power board - please attach a photo of the output connector areas so i can check.
Ok, requested phone call
I'm going to have to continue this later today. I will have to get the photo and will send it to you as soon as possible. Sorry
That's ok, just reply back when you are ready.
I'm sending you several photos. I looked at the board and checked the readings on the DC side of the board. I found that most were 21v, 19v,3.3v, requirments and all the 21v checked out at 20.82v. all the 19v checked out at 18.02v and 3.3v all checked out at 3.3v. All the capicators looked good with no bulging. Not a clue on how to reaqd the diodes and resisstors. This TV only has the boards that are in the pictures. The boards at the top of the TV are integrated into the screen. I had a donor TV same make and model and striped it down taking the screen totally apart and no other boards. I assume the boards at the top of the TV are the t-conn board or this TV doesn't have a T-Conn board
Hey Pete, It's been over 48 hours since you referred me to a new technician and nobody has responded to help me solve my problem. Should someone have responded by now? Should I go ahead and request a refund?
Your question is still on the open question list and is being viewed by the other experts, but none have so far felt fit to respond.
You may still get a reply in the next 48 hours..
Pete, Electronic Engineer